Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMiami (sticker) vs FSU (in-state)  (Read 1262 times)

Mystere

• View Profile
    • Email
UMiami (sticker) vs FSU (in-state)
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »
I'm having a really hard time deciding between these two schools. Would I have a decent shot at finding a job from FSU in Sofla or would Miami offer much higher employment opportunities down south? In addition, the debt at Miami is obviously a big issue compared to that at FSU. It's tough to reconcile the high price cost of tuition vs. quality of life. Which school would provide a better opportunity to get higher grades and possibly transfer up to a more prestigious out of state institution?   

futurelawyergal

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UMiami (sticker) vs FSU (in-state)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »
I would go with FSU. Don't plan on transferring...plus it sounds like you want to practice in Florida so why bother? FSU has a better national reputation IMHO.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:28:39 PM »
First, as futurelawyergal mentions, you shouldn't plan on transferring.  Grades are very arbitrary, and you very well might not have good enough grades to transfer.

Second, how much more would you owe if you went to Miami compared to FSU, when you factor in rent, food, etc.?

Edited: I failed to notice that you said UM sticker price v. FSU in-state.

I agree that this is a no-brainer.  FSU is your best bet. 

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:54:43 AM »
This is a no-brainer.  It's like do you want to buy a brand new toyota corolla for $30,000 or do you want to buy a brand new honda civic for $10,000? 

You're an idiot if you choose UM at sticker price over FSU (in-state)!  (Yes, I said it!   ;D )

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:34:45 AM »
FSU without question.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:03 AM »

You're an idiot if you choose UM at sticker price over FSU (in-state)!  (Yes, I said it!   ;D )

:)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »
I knew you people would be here. lol
Looks like the OP and I are in the same situation. Im still trying to decide whether
I should choose FSU over UM.

Mystere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 02:44:32 PM »
I'm not "planning" on transferring, obviously I have no clue how I will fair in law school. That being said, if I do happen to get the grades to transfer to a top school, I would like to so I would have greater freedom of mobility in terms of job location.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »
I'm not "planning" on transferring, obviously I have no clue how I will fair in law school. That being said, if I do happen to get the grades to transfer to a top school, I would like to so I would have greater freedom of mobility in terms of job location.

Well, I'm glad to hear that.  This board gets many people who seem to think that they're going to definitely transfer because they work hard.  I just wanted to make sure that you weren't one of those naive people, so that you wouldn't be unhappy with your decision (at least in this regard)!

MacGyver316

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
SULC or bust