Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clerkship letters of recommendation?  (Read 851 times)

Advocate

• View Profile
Clerkship letters of recommendation?
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:15:52 AM »
I'm looking to apply for clerkship, and now I'm supposed to get three letters.  The problem is that I haven't had any one professor more than once.  For example, can I really go back and ask my 1L Torts professor for a recommendation based on the A I received in his class?  Or should I only ask professors I had 2nd year who will be more likely to remember me?  I could get good letters from my various internship supervisors (who, of course, remember me), but the judges seem to want academic recommendations. This is annoying. 

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkship letters of recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »
I'd ask the profs you got an A with.  If you have enough A's your second year, I'd probably just stick to those, but I bet you could go back and get a 1L recommendation.  You can just send them your CV and maybe a small statement that they can work off of.  Most profs I've dealt with are more than happy to help a student out, and they get requests all the time from people who got A's in their class.  It is basically part of their job.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Clerkship letters of recommendation?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:00:30 AM »
The last post is spot-on, but in addition you should make an effort to go see that professor in person.  Discuss your goals, and give him a copy of your resume and transcript.  Know what your dream clerkships are, and don't be shy about conveying this.

While it is fine to have 1-2 recs from teachers who merely know you as a student who earned an A, in an ideal world you would be close enough to at least one professor with whom you can have an extended version of the above discussion.  Ask this prof which clerkships s/he thinks are right for you, and then ask if s/he would be willing to make a call to any of them.
I am officially a law school graduate : )