Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Transfer Advice  (Read 1586 times)

lemado

• View Profile
    • Email
Need Transfer Advice
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »
I'm currently at a T100 law school in the NJ/NY area with a full scholarship and on LR; I'm considering transferring to a T10 school.  I want to work at a large Firm, probably in NY.  What should I do?  Thanks. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need Transfer Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »
I'm currently at a T100 law school in the NJ/NY area with a full scholarship and on LR; I'm considering transferring to a T10 school.  I want to work at a large Firm, probably in NY.  What should I do?  Thanks. 

apply.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:27:50 AM »
what were your first year grades?

lemado

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »
I have a 3.955 GPA; I'll probably end up in the top 5% although ranks arent updated reflecting spring grades.  I'm thinking of transferring to Columbia, Michigan, or Penn; and I've been accepted to GULC.  I'm just worried about the huge debt I'll be taking on by losing my scholarship. I dont know if I'll make up the difference with a better degree.  My current school is SHU.

Frogconcept

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
Here's my extremely uneducated opinion from the limited research I've done on transferring so far...apply, but you may want to stay put.  I'm pretty set on transferring, but your position is dramatically different than mine.  You're attending school in the region you want to practice, you've created a great foundation with your GPA, and you're on review...all at a T100 school.  If you were on scholarship at a T4 like me, I'd say forget it...you'll make up the difference in the first few years of practice...but it sounds to me like your options should you stay put aren't that limited.  Take into account the current and near future economy, and you're not in bad shape at all where you're at.  No doubt apply, but think carefully before making that move...you've set yourself up as a standout where you are right now, and it's going to be tough making up that ground at another school.  That being said, grain of salt...I'm 1L, considering transferring, and extremely naive at these point...I'd listen to some other people on this board 10x over before taking my advice.

Good luck!

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »
Does SHU use a 4.3 or 4.0 scale?

I agree with frog when it comes to anything below the T14. The other question is what your career goals are. Do you think you'd ever be interested in clerking or academia? If you just want to do firm work, then I'd apply to to Harvard, Yale, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, and maybe Michigan and Penn. I do think having a T10 school name on your resume helps quite a bit, but others may disagree. I'm also a bit of a prestige whore. You may be different. Top 5% w/ LR at Seton Hall will likely get you a great job in NYC. Although transferring to CLS or NYU would not hurt at all and you wouldn't have to move very far. I think CCN are prestigious enough to warrant a transfer despite your grades/LR. I wouldn't go to GULC, though. I think you have a great shot at T10 schools including CCN.

lemado

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 11:38:48 AM »
Its a 4.3 scale; I was ranked 2/208 with a 4.118 GPA after the first semester.  I dropped to a 3.955 so I'm guessing I'll still be in the top 5 or 10%. 

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »
Actually, after thinking about it a bit, I'm changing my advice (although not by much). You could still apply to Harvard and Yale, but realize that your chances of getting in there are very, very slim. I would apply to CLS, NYU, Chicago, Michigan, and Penn and maybe Cornell. I would say you have a good shot of getting in to at least one of CLS, NYU, or Chi. You are probably good at the lower schools too. Basically, apply wherever you might want to go in the T14 (or can afford to apply).

As for whether you should transfer or not, this is a personal decision. If I were you, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'm a prestige whore and wouldn't care about giving up the social connections, etc. that I made first year. You may be different.

lemado

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:28:33 PM »
Thanks, I'm really hoping for Columbia or Michigan, with Penn coming in at #3.  I'm going to apply to HY just for the hell of it.  So you do or do not think I should go to Georgetown if I dont have any other options?  Thanks.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:41:25 PM »
Thanks, I'm really hoping for Columbia or Michigan, with Penn coming in at #3.  I'm going to apply to HY just for the hell of it.  So you do or do not think I should go to Georgetown if I dont have any other options?  Thanks.

Um, that's completely up to you. I think it depends on how much you like your current school. You said you want a biglaw job in NYC right? Seton Hall will probably be just fine for that. It also makes interviewing in NYC much easier. On the other hand, having the GULC name on your resume is a definite plus. You'd also get more access to employers via OCI. You should make a pros/cons list and then decide as much of this is a very personal decision.