Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BEWARE THE LAW SCHOOL SCAM, LEMMINGS!  (Read 6379 times)

squireJons

• beware the law school scam
    • View Profile
    • lawschoolscam.blogspot.com
Beware of the Law School Scam, kids!
see http://www.lawschoolscam.blogspot.com

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BEWARE THE LAW SCHOOL SCAM, LEMMINGS!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »
There are people that go to four year college and don't find jobs right out or get bad ones etc, so I guess going for your B.A. is a waste of time also. Law school is no guarantee nothing in life is a guarantee, some people make it some don't for a million reasons, but that is life.  Maybe you will get a job maybe you won't it's competitive out there and people sitting  bitching about how hard everything is don't get anywhere. God posts like this piss me off!

squireJons

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »
we are not talking GUARANTEES here. But half the people who have JDs are not working in the legal profession. 7 years of higher education, and including all the hoops you have to jump through to get a license, and then so many either cannot find law jobs or cannot keep them that they have to go into some other field? That is a very high risk gamble. You have to bet 3 years of your life, 3 years of hard work (most of which has little to do with actual practice (but I guess you would not know that, not being a lawyer)), and then the hoops, and then 6 figure debt or near it, all for a 50 percent chance of success?

RISKY GAMBLE! Law school is not self improvement, but instead a high risk gamble, a gamble that eats up 3 years of your life. Why not just go to vegas and get it over with quickly?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »
Maybe some of these %50 don't work in the legal profession by choice, you can do other things with a law degree besides be a lawyer. Anyways, that is besides the point law school is hard work and maybe it won't pay off. That is just life people start businesses with no guarantee of success maybe they will spend 10 years and the company will go under maybe it will be a huge success.  You can get a job bust your ass for three years and get fired then have less education than someone who spent the going to grad school.  The list goes on and on law school is a risk like everything in life granted a little bigger because of the big debt, but there is a chance of a lot of success.  I mean there is no certainty any will make it and if for whatever reason I don't I won't waste my time writing blogs to people that I don't know about how about how horrible my life is.  I don't get that at all that one guy is complaining about how he is so tired of filling out applications for government jobs because it takes to long, yet he has time to blog on that link I just think that is ridiculous.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »
I will agree that LSAC and the ABA should give more descriptive employment/salary stats instead of just 60% in law firms %20 in business and industry etc. I mean for all you know working in a legal firm means your the receptionist with a J.D. and business and industry could mean McDonald's cashier so I do agree with that site having issues with the ABA LSAC statistics they should be much more descriptive in that area. However, I don't feel that sorry for someone who goes to law school knowing the risks and then complains about it.  I feel people expect to go to law school and come out with 100,000 a year jobs which is just not the case.  For almost any career it takes years of struggling to get where you want.

squireJons

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »
people go to law school expecting to be able to pay their BILLS.

The sales propaganda put out by the legal education industry assures the law school applicants that unemployment and underemployment is very low and that income is high. LIES!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 02:43:21 PM »
*Jumps of cliff*

*Lands in water*

*Has fun*

*Does it again*
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

IAmMultipleBooks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
people go to law school expecting to be able to pay their BILLS.

The sales propaganda put out by the legal education industry assures the law school applicants that unemployment and underemployment is very low and that income is high. LIES!

It's true. I hope your message reaches the 0Ls.

salty827

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »
I remember being a 0L in 2007 and reading the "Beware don't go to law school threads!" I did my homework and wound up at a top tier law school. I did my best to minimize my debt and I don't think I'm as bad off as some of my peers. My friend went to Duke as an undergrad and as a law student and is looking at $350k(!) in student loans. I joke with him that he should just join witness protection and hope his SSN falls off the map. To the OLs who are reading this please take the histrionics seriously. Yes, we are in a recession and the entire job market is bad but we don't know what the post-recession legal world will look like. I want tell anyone what to do but in 3 years don't say you weren't warned.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 10:21:12 PM »
So your trying to warn of it getting worse, or have lost potential by not doing it while they had the chance when it gets sunny again?  ???

I remember being a 0L in 2007 and reading the "Beware don't go to law school threads!" I did my homework and wound up at a top tier law school. I did my best to minimize my debt and I don't think I'm as bad off as some of my peers. My friend went to Duke as an undergrad and as a law student and is looking at $350k(!) in student loans. I joke with him that he should just join witness protection and hope his SSN falls off the map. To the OLs who are reading this please take the histrionics seriously. Yes, we are in a recession and the entire job market is bad but we don't know what the post-recession legal world will look like. I want tell anyone what to do but in 3 years don't say you weren't warned.