Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School resume for Stay at home mom  (Read 4360 times)

Reveur33

• View Profile
Law School resume for Stay at home mom
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:56:02 PM »
Hi Everyone,
                        I am a stay at home mom planning to start Law school in the fall of 2010.  I wondered if anyone has any advise to give me about how to state it (full time mom) in my resume for Law School?   I would appreciate your help very much.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Law School resume for Stay at home mom
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 12:33:12 AM »
Hi Everyone,
                        I am a stay at home mom planning to start Law school in the fall of 2010.  I wondered if anyone has any advise to give me about how to state it (full time mom) in my resume for Law School?   I would appreciate your help very much.

Actually, I wouldn't include it on your resume.  Either address it in your personal statement, or add a very brief addendum explaining the break in your academic experience (some schools actually request this.)
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
You may want to apply for part time classes too so that you can stay at home with your kids if that is still a major priority for you. Some schools allow you to go as slow as 5 years and even just on weekends.

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:32:58 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I would create an addendum to the resume. Most schools will want you to explain gaps in education or employment. I wouldn't recommend doing this, but I would be interested to see how ADCOMS would respond if an applicant listed "Stay-At-Home Mother" under employment on their resume. A lot of the more progressive institutions recognize the sacrifices individuals make when they leave the labor force to provide care.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
Best of luck to you either way. Make sure to let us know how you end up deciding to do your resume and what they schools responces are to it. I hope the end result is an acceptence letter.  ;)

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:41:01 PM »
I was a sahm during the application process and I did not address it on my resume, but I did have lots of other work experience to list (due to my age). Some applications do ask to explain gaps and I simply said from year-year I was at home raising my family.

denhay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:52:41 AM »
I had been a stay-at-home mom for 6 years when I applied for law school.  I did not list it in my resume, but I did note it in my personal statement.  I was accepted to almost all of the schools I applied to, and my not getting accepted into the others was due, I'm pretty sure, to my LSAT score (These were the schools that I didn't think I could get into in the first place but tried for anyway.).  Don't worry about the gap in your education.  I had little work experience out of college and was dealing mostly with babies for several years.  Many of the people on admissions councils have children.  They know how much work and dedication goes into caring for them.  If you are a little older and have had real-world experience (including raising a family), schools are likely to be very much interested in you.  You are not the average applicant.  They might see you as bringing diversity to the class, seeing things from a different point of view than the average student. 

P.S.  I started out full time, but I switched to part-time after the first semester.  I have two young children and wanted to spend more time with them.  However, I know another mother of young children in my class who has found that the full time course is best for her family situation. I'm sure you can find a way that is best for you and yours. Good luck in your endeavor!

Reveur33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for your response. I will take what you said into consideration. It is really appreciated.