Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LLM in Criminal Law  (Read 7736 times)

ProsecutorWM

• AOL Instant Messenger - ProsecutorWM
    • View Profile
LLM in Criminal Law
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:52:46 PM »
SUNY at Buffalo has a program?  Is it worth it?

Anyone out there done it?
Why is it when I'm having fun its wrong? -Squidward Tentacles

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LLM in Criminal Law
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
Why would you want to get an LLM in crim law?  Do you want to teach?  Do you want to be a DA?  Do you want to go into the US Atty's office?

If you want to go into academia, then an LLM could be a consideration, although I think most law profs may tell you that you're better off going to get a PhD instead (many people have no clue as to what goes into getting an LLM, but the rigors of getting a PhD are known and respected).

But if you want to be a prosecutor, then don't bother.  You're better off saving the money to pay down your loans.  No DA I know would care about seeing this on a resume; they would rather see that you have experience in a courtroom.

raider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
SUNY at Buffalo has a program?  Is it worth it?

Anyone out there done it?

I have been a state prosecutor for almost 18 years.  I would like to work in a US Attorney's Office.  I have tried just about every type of criminal case that one can imagine.  However, I want to improve my resume.  I am interested in trying to find an onlin criminal law LL.M.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »
I know a good number of people that are AUSAs.  I've had extensive discussions with them on the direction I should go in my career and what sort of opportunities would help me land a job in the USAO down the line.  Based on those discussions, I'm pretty confident in telling you that an online crim law LLM will not help you at all.

raider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »
I know a good number of people that are AUSAs.  I've had extensive discussions with them on the direction I should go in my career and what sort of opportunities would help me land a job in the USAO down the line.  Based on those discussions, I'm pretty confident in telling you that an online crim law LLM will not help you at all.

One goal I now have is to get board certified in criminal law through the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification (http://www.nblsc.us/).  Have you thought about attempting to acquire such certification?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:38:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure they won't care at all about that, either.

The AUSA cares about trial experience.  They also care about pedigree - what work you've done (hellooo BigLaw), etc.  There is often a split among AUSAs in that some care more for your pedigree while others find experience in the trenches more important (i.e. the number of hours you've actually spent in a court room, and whether that was handling felony cases as a prosecutor, etc.).

A third factor, obviously, is that who you know and your reputation can make an impact to some extent. 

As for the board certification thing, I think it's unnecessary, but I've never specifically asked for it.  I skimmed through the "requirements" but the fact that you pay $800 for this is ridiculous.  I'd probably save my money, if I were you.  The requirements, like being lead counsel on at least 5 jury trials, etc., are things you should just be doing anyway to become an AUSA.  Paying $800 (to the friggen ABA of all people) for some redundant fluff on your resume seems pretty expensive and wasteful, IMO.

raider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 11:51:55 PM »
Jacy85, very much appreciate your comments.

If you can drop me an e-mail at raidersfan60@hotmail.com.  I wanted to follow up on the AUSA discussion.  I just interviewed for an AUSA position within the last few weeks.