Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT Cool Posters Give Good Advice to 2L Job Search Noobs  (Read 9323 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ITT Cool Posters Give Good Advice to 2L Job Search Noobs
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2009, 04:17:29 PM »
What I mean is that I am outgoing.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
Re: ITT Cool Posters Give Good Advice to 2L Job Search Noobs
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »
And I would do it again!  It was great pizza!  Cost me ~20k in SA money, but whatever.  Life is short.

How are you networking?  Drunk-dialing?  Meeting up with people at restaurants?

Craigslist.

A good resource for networking would the the 'missed connections' section of Craigslist.

M4Job: Saw you at a meet-and-great, you seemed bored to be there but we made eye contact and I think you'd like to have me work for you.  Write back with an offer, and tell me what I was wearing so I know it's you.

Some of my best connections came through school. Hit up your professors for advice and see if they know people from back when they were in practice who would be willing to help out a find, upstanding future alum eventually paying for their salary such as yourself. Email your career services advisor, who works for you, telling them exactly what you want and asking for personal assistance with X firm, and ask them who you can contact specifically.  Don't budge if they tell you to mail merge or hand you a list of alumni... you want actual contacts of active alums who are enthusiastic about hiring you, and preferably at the firms you want to work.  Also, do what botbot and Matthies said. G'luck.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10