Law School Discussion

I HATE MY SITUATION!!!

Re: I HATE MY SITUATION!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »
This isn't a T1/T4 issue

Concur.  I met many more egotistical, unrealistic blowhards at the third tier than I have met at the T14.  Your mileage may vary, of course.  It is the case that students throughout the tiers have different concerns and gripes, e.g. getting $160k vs. getting a legal job at all vs. getting a job at all.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 05:47:53 PM »
You see things like this in high school sports when a small county track champion goes to a big state meet and finishes towards the back of the pack.  Why don't you just take a bunch of easy writing classes or seminars during your 3L year. You could inflate your GPA, and the classes should not be so stressful.  I mean, really . . . do gunners take Law and Literature?

This may be the case. Good analogy. I'm not, however, the type of person who is going to take easy classes just for the sake of boosting my GPA. I'm focusing on corporate law, and I would argue that a lot of those courses are the toughest.  Next semester I'll be taking Secured Transactions, Banking Law and Regulation, Business Aquisitions, and Corporate Income Tax. Those arn't the types of classes one would take in an effort to boost their GPA.  There's a tax clinic at my current school, and someone actually advised me to take it because it's the easiest A I'll ever receive.  I'm not going that route, though, because I don't want to be a copout.

Everyone is right, my current school isn't the right fit for me.  There are inherent benefits to transferring, no doubt I've enjoyed some of those benefits.  But in hindsight, I should have stayed at my former school.  I probably would've been happier. 

Glad I could shed some of the "negative" light on transferring.

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
I would ditch the corporate classes b/c

They are hard.

They are boring.

You have little chance of getting a job in corporate law unless you want to work at a small firm that does work for small business type clients. Given the current economic climate, this might not even be feasible.

Honestly if I were in your position I would try as hard as I could to boost the GPA during my last year, even if that means taking a clinic that counts for a ton of credits and has easy grading or taking a few fluff classes. Most of the employers that are likely to hire you aren't going to be scrutinizing your transcript. I would try to get that GPA as close to 3.0 as possible.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »
Regardless of grading, a clinic would likely look much better to employers and provide you with more real-world experience than some random business-type doctrinal class.  You can learn corporate tax by reading a 30-page outline.  You can't learn life experience by reading a book or being lectured to.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »
Agreed. Clinics can provide good work experience, especially if you are headed to a small firm or DA/PD office. Plus, if you are down about your grades getting away from the classroom may be a good thing.

However, if you are a rising 3L it may be too late to apply for the clinics. If so, your best option is to sign up for an externship for credit if your school allows that. If that doesn't work, I would seriously consider reworking my schedule to free up blocks of time so that I could do some kind of unpaid internship part-time, 2-3 days a week.

Bad/mediocre grades in a specialty that is in the toilet because of the economy aren't going to help you find employment after graduation.

Regardless of grading, a clinic would likely look much better to employers and provide you with more real-world experience than some random business-type doctrinal class.  You can learn corporate tax by reading a 30-page outline.  You can't learn life experience by reading a book or being lectured to.