Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 10% at T6 to HY?  (Read 1380 times)

madderpete

• View Profile
Top 10% at T6 to HY?
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »
Is it possible? Is it wise?

jeff112

• View Profile
Re: Top 10% at T6 to HY?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »
Possible, yes.  Wise, maybe for certain (and very circumscribed) goals. 

I would think Top 10 percent has a solid shot at law review, depending on what the ratios for grade-ons are.  If you've already found out and you are on law review, the ONLY scenario I can think of that would compel a transfer would be if you wanted to do academia or some other extremely elite job. 

Even then, I'd only do it if I was at Columbia or NYU, and that's still a stretch.  I only name those two because Chicago will set you up very well for academia if you remain Top 10 percent and have law review.

I'd probably only transfer to Yale, too, with those kind of stats.  Bottom line, though, you are only looking at two schools, so it doesn't hurt to apply and make a decision once you find out if you get in. 

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
I agree with jeff mostly. The only reason to go is for academia or if you want to be president or something someday. Even for academia, top 10% at CCN + law review will be just as good for academia as H or Y, especially if you already know you are on law review. For academia you basically need LR (with a publication), great prof recommendations (which would come easier from your current school), and an appellate clerkship. If you are interested in academia, I'd go talk with a prof about it, you'll get much better guidance.

Other than that, I'd stay where you are...again depending on LR. If you make it, then that pretty much trumps all and with your grades+LR you will have no problem getting the job you want.

madderpete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:42:01 PM »
Thank you for the advice. Is it safe to say, then, that if I'm not interested in clerkships, academia, or politics, I don't have much to gain by transferring?

jeff112

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
Thank you for the advice. Is it safe to say, then, that if I'm not interested in clerkships, academia, or politics, I don't have much to gain by transferring?

I'd agree with that 100 percent--nothing to gain. Aside from a very slight prestige bump, which isn't worth the risk and hassle of moving to another school and potentially losing law review and a solid foundation of good grades.

Honestly, even if you did want to do academia and/or clerk, I probably wouldn't leave...except MAYBE for Yale.