Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Targeting firms early  (Read 1957 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Targeting firms early
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »
I am starting school at UK in August, and I hope to continue to practice law in Lexington.  I have begun researching firms in the area, and I have found three particular firms that interest me the most.  All three of these firms hire 1Ls for summer, and they all hire a majority of their associates from UK.  They also conduct 1L OCIs at UK.

I am curious as to whether there is anything in particular that I can do to ensure that I interview with these firms when 1L OCIs come around.  I understand that the main thing I can do is keep my grades up and get on Law Review.  But is this enough?  Is the interview process so reliant on numbers that if I get good grades, I should get an interview, or is there anything I can do to make myself more attractive to each particular firm?  I'm posting this here because I'm guessing most of you posting in this board is already looking at/ going through the process.

Thanks for any helpful responses.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting firms early
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
Hang out at a bar near the firm and buy a drink for one of the lawyers on a break?  I'm not being facetious.  Try to make a contact at the firm.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting firms early
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:48:36 AM »
Besides grades the only thing you can try to do is network. I guess hanging out at a bar would be one way. You should check out some of Matthies's old posts for tips (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?action=profile;u=5971). He has some great info on networking. I'll let you do the digging for yourself though.