Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking Nominations for New Moderators - NOW CLOSED  (Read 16303 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Nominations for New Moderators
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
no.  that julie's final word on matter.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 09:00:53 AM »
Thanks for the nods everyone, but I would not be a good moderator. I’m a dictator at hart, and I would be too heavy handed. Besides I have a long and controversial post history that would make it very easy for someone to dig up my old posts and throw it in my face when I tried to ban someone for doing something I’ve probably done at one time or another on this board. Besides I’m studying for the bar.

I nominate Irxx reasons why:

1.   He has the time
2.   He can post from work
3.   He’s on here 24/7
4.   He’s a nontraditional student and it would be nice to have one in the moderator mix
5.   He does not/did not go to a top law school, we are over-represented by mods who do. Does that affect their moderating abilities? No of course not, but I think an A) older mod, b) not t- 14 mod would help make the moderators more representative of the variety of the posters we have here.
6.   He dudbs so he has no post history to throw back in his face.
7.       He's been doing the massage baord thing for a long time (this and others)

I agree wholeheartedly with this nomination but I have two quibbles about this list.  First, wrt #5, we have only two mods and one went to Rutgers-Newark; while I agree that school diversity is an issue on the board in general, I don't think that the mods are the problem at all.  Second, wrt #6, I think d-dubbing is a problem for a mod.  Especially for people who are new to the board or who don't frequent the off-topic threads, d-dubbing arouses suspicion.  If mods are going to have their own board personae (and I think there's a fair question about whether they should), they should also have a searchable post history just like everyone else.

Otherwise, however, I think IrrX is a terrific choice.  

I guess I see “big law lawyer” as same thing as t14 students, not representative of the majority of law students/lawyers, simply because they are both small subsets of the overall population (I'd feel the same way if all mods were PI focused, or DA focused, just think there should be some varity). I also agree with you on d-dubling, once you become a moderator. No ddubing then. But before you’re a moderatator I thinks its helpful as you can’t throw up pre-moderator posts as proof of post moderator bias.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »
I guess I see “big law lawyer” as same thing as t14 students, not representative of the majority of law students/lawyers, simply because they are both small subsets of the overall population (I'd feel the same way if all mods were PI focused, or DA focused, just think there should be some varity). I also agree with you on d-dubling, once you become a moderator. No ddubing then. But before you’re a moderatator I thinks its helpful as you can’t throw up pre-moderator posts as proof of post moderator bias.

I disagree; I think that this defeats the "open and notorious" thing and allows people to imagine past associations and biases.  Regardless, I think IrrX would be a terrific mod, and I wholeheartedly support his candidacy if he's interested.  He's very thoughtful about how the board should work, online a lot, experienced in other similar forums, and a bit of an iconoclast.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:11 AM »

I disagree; I think that this defeats the "open and notorious" thing and allows people to imagine past associations and biases.  Regardless, I think IrrX would be a terrific mod, and I wholeheartedly support his candidacy if he's interested.  He's very thoughtful about how the board should work, online a lot, experienced in other similar forums, and a bit of an iconoclast.

See I disagree there, in my mind mods should keep mod personality separate from online personality. I.e you should have a mod account and your own account. Your own account is you, separate from mod, and mod account is mod spate from you. We don’t do it that way, but if I was setting up a mod system that is how I would do it. I.e. you put on your judge hat and take off your personal hat when needed, and when you’re not a judge you have a personal life (account) distinct from your judge one. You use the mod account for mod biz only.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »

See I disagree there, in my mind mods should keep mod personality separate from online personality. I.e you should have a mod account and your own account. Your own account is you, separate from mod, and mod account is mod spate from you. We don’t do it that way, but if I was setting up a mod system that is how I would do it. I.e. you put on your judge hat and take off your personal hat when needed, and when you’re not a judge you have a personal life (account) distinct from your judge one. You use the mod account for mod biz only.

I can definitely see the merits in doing it that way, Matthies. But currently Sands and EarlCat maintain a single account, and I think any future mods should do the same. They can interact very well with others on the board while maintaining that separation between fun and business, and I think it's important that other mods do, as well.

Oh I agree, that's how its alwways been done, that's how we should continue to do it today. That's just not I how I would have set it up from sctrach is what I am asaying.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 11:12:14 AM »

I can definitely see the merits in doing it that way, Matthies. But currently Sands and EarlCat maintain a single account, and I think any future mods should do the same. They can interact very well with others on the board while maintaining that separation between fun and business, and I think it's important that other mods do, as well.

Oh I agree, that's how its alwways been done, that's how we should continue to do it today. That's just not I how I would have set it up from sctrach is what I am asaying.

I'm not even sure I would've started that way. I think a mod should always have that level of mod responsibility and accountability, even when they're just having fun. Having an alt or a "judge hat" doesn't really seem appropriate, because it should always be in the back of their minds that they have to maintain that level of professionalism that's a bit beyond that of the average poster. And I think recognizing that in an average poster would be a good qualifier when looking for a new mod.

your shaking hands and kissing babies

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »
I have another nomination to add: Jeffort. His help with the LSAT has been invaluable, and I think he'd make a great mod.

Jeffort and I are friends, but I have to vote against this.  He is far too erratic in his posting behavior.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »
Didn't he announce that he was leaving a while back?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »
I have another nomination to add: Jeffort. His help with the LSAT has been invaluable, and I think he'd make a great mod.

Jeffort and I are friends, but I have to vote against this.  He is far too erratic in his posting behavior.

Exactly. Plus I doubt that Robin would sign off on something like that.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »

besides he can do enough already without mod powers, the guy is like the NSA  :P