Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer Resume  (Read 4624 times)

;;;;;

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Transfer Resume
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »
This has probably been covered before but I couldn't seem to find it.

Do you put your 1L school on your resume after you transfer?  If so, I would have 3 schools on my resume!  Seems like a lot.  Does anyone have a good template they could send me that would make my resume look less like a car accident?  Ideas?

thanks.
"Don't read what they write about you, just measure it in inches."  Andy Warhol

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Resume
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:23:24 PM »
I didn't transfer so I'm not totally sure, but I don't think I'd include your 1L school.  I took classes at a couple community colleges during undergrad, but I only listed the school I got my degree from on my resume.  If you received any awards at your 1L school that you want to list on your resume, maybe you could put something like "Joe Smith Award for Academic Excellence, conferred by [1L school's name]." 

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »
Yes, you have to include your 1L school- no question on that whatsoever- it would be EXTREMELY misleading to not include it. Plus, you want to be able to show off your GPA.

Standard format-

University of ZOMG this is where I transferred
J.D. Candidate, 2011
-Bar Association
-OMG I made it on to Law Review as a transfer

University of haha I was too good for this school
-GPA/Class rank: zomg 4.9/top of the class +1
-stupid extracurricular I got nothing from
-another stupid extracurricular

University of Joe Shmoe
Bachaelor in something useless with stupid honors, 200x
-Only put in impressive stuff like champion of the beer pong team
-Other equally impressive stuff like "got out of 10 underage drinking tickets" or something

------------------------------------
1L summer legal job

Any clinics or substantive work you participated in during 1L

Pre-Law Job

Pre-Law Job

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »
Concur with TransferorNot. You have to put your 1L school...at least until you graduate. It's definitely not the same as taking a few classes at a community college.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:20:53 PM »
Yeah I'd put it on my resume until I graduated, and then remove it.

Frogconcept

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »
Ugh...wait...I didn't need to put my community college classes on my LSAC application?  A bunch of CC classes I took right after HS were an anchor on my composite GPA since I dropped like 4.  Touchdown, Frog. 

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »
Ugh...wait...I didn't need to put my community college classes on my LSAC application?  A bunch of CC classes I took right after HS were an anchor on my composite GPA since I dropped like 4.  Touchdown, Frog. 

No, you still have to put these on the LSAC application because they require it. You probably wouldn't need to put these on a resume though, unless you felt they were particularly relevant to the job you were applying for, especially if you only took a few classes. If you got an associate's degree at a CC or something, then that would probably be different.

Frogconcept

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
Haha, no...I got booted out of HS, but did great on my ACT, so my parents naturally thought I should go straight to CC...where I promptly wasted their money and mine by attending probably 1/8th of the classes.  It wasn't until I worked a couple years, got my head out of my ass, and gained provisional admission to a real school (through the ACT and a laughably imploring application essay) that I began to actually apply myself (or at least attend half the classes and read the syllabus to check major due dates).

GuysRea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 10:57:37 PM »
Yes, you have to include your 1L school- no question on that whatsoever- it would be EXTREMELY misleading to not include it.

I disagree.

Check with your new school's career services office. We were told to keep our 1L school on our resume during OCI up until we received our 2L fall grades. At that point, we were instructed to remove our 1L school.

Why would you keep your 1L school on your resume if you no longer attend?

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »
Yes, you have to include your 1L school- no question on that whatsoever- it would be EXTREMELY misleading to not include it.

I disagree.

Check with your new school's career services office. We were told to keep our 1L school on our resume during OCI up until we received our 2L fall grades. At that point, we were instructed to remove our 1L school.

Why would you keep your 1L school on your resume if you no longer attend?

Because leaving it off and just putting your Fall 2L grades gives the inaccurate impression that you started off at that school, and that your GPA reflects being at your school the entire time. That is incredibly, *incredibly* misleading. It doesn't matter for OCI since you will still have your old school on the resume for that; but for clerkship applications and so on, you really want to be coy like that?

The school I'm transferring to *does* say what I said, by the way, as does GULC, as well as the school I am transferring out of (I know a few people who transferred in.) I would imagine the vast majority of schools are similar. Did you transfer in to a T14? Perhaps it is different when you're transferring from a very low ranked school in to a T2 or mid-level T1. However, I can say that if I was looking at the resume of someone who was still in school, and they didn't indicate that they were a transfer student on the resume, they would be auto-dinged, unless I found out that the school's OCS advised them to do the resume that way. At that point, I would rip that school's OCS.