Law School Discussion

Seton Hall vs. Hofstra $$

Re: Seton Hall vs. Hofstra $$
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:55:50 AM »
Well, some Hofstra grads do go on to better things - NY's Govenor Patterson is a Hofstra grad. Hofstra isn't a 'bad' school if you're interested in being an attorney on Long Island - but the OP clearly indicated that he's interested only in working in NYC, which limit's Hofstra's appeal. Similarly, Hofstra has had some good faculty - one of St. John's best Contracts professors was formerly at Hofstra.
So while Hofstra isn't the right choice for the OP, for it's clearly defined role (as law school for Long Island lawyers) it does an adequate job.
Rob

PS: Hofstra does have at least one area that it excels in - it's Labor & Employment law journal is well regarded in the field of (obviously) Labor & Employment law. Not saying it's worth going there just for that, but it's at least 1 good thing I can think of about Hofstra...

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:56:10 AM »
I just finished up my first year at Hofstra and have no complaints thus far.  However I am in the PM division.  Not sure if the faculty teaching at night is different than the day.  Also might be worth checking out http://www.nalpdirectory.com/ .  You can research where the associates/partners at some of the biglaw firms went to school.  If you have any other specific questions regarding Hofstra send me a PM.

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
I don't think the Hall places very well in NYC -- or anywhere outside of Jersey. 

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 02:54:57 AM »
I think Hofstra's fine if it's the best school you get into, but I wouldn't turn down much higher ranked options.  The 3.25 req is pretty steep and you'll likely regret your decision if you lose that $.  Purely anecdotal, but I've watched four of my friends struggle in the legal market since graduating in the last 4 years (the only 1 that has gainful legal employment in NYC was magna cum laude and review editor), which doesn't give me huge confidence in the marketability of that school.  Rankings aren't everything, but with so many local schools and everyone else across the country that wants to work in NYC, I think you should take every competitive advantage you can get.

PS: Hofstra does have at least one area that it excels in - it's Labor & Employment law journal is well regarded in the field of (obviously) Labor & Employment law. Not saying it's worth going there just for that, but it's at least 1 good thing I can think of about Hofstra...

Just because they have a specialized journal doesn't mean that they "excel" in that field.  Cornell, NYU, St. John's, UB, and Syracuse (which used to have the primary labor law journal for the ABA) all have greater or similar prominence in the NY labor realm.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
Ok linquest,I'll defer... although my statement about Hofstra's L&EL journal was simply regurgitating something that stuck out in my mind from a list I saw ranking various law school journals, not intended on advocating that Hofstra has great placement in the L&EL field. Having read a volume of their journal, it seemed no better or worse than any other journal I've looked through, but because of my strong interest in the subject matter perhaps I give them too much credit.
Rob

xof

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
I went to Hofstra undergrad.  Someone said before that no one has come out of such an experiance and claimed to have enjoyed it.  Well I enjoyed it.  That being said I turned down a full ride from hofstra law.  It just doesnt have marketability outside of LI. Period.