Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall vs. Hofstra $$  (Read 2771 times)

lawman1

• View Profile
Seton Hall vs. Hofstra $$
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »
Seton Hall at full price or Hofstra with $25k per year. Must maintain a 3.25 to keep it. Want to practice in NYC and I'd be living at either school. Are the schools comparable enough to take the money at Hofstra and sacrifice the ranking?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seton Hall vs. Hofstra $$
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »
The best question is what do you want to do and where do you want to work. I know you said new york, but would you consider working out in long island? Of course, Hofstra does place at firms in the city. Also, if you are already in debt from undergrad and taking out all loans, money would be more of a factor. Personally, i took the money over a higher ranked school and am happy that I will not be coming out of law school with as much debt.
Best of luck

p.s. don't you have to make a decision soon? or did you double deposit?

lawman1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:50:49 PM »
NYC only. No idea what I want to do. Money is certainly an issue but not the primary factor in my decision. Just concerned about the rankings and the differences in job placement between the two schools.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Hofstra is the 'Long Island law school' (sorry Touro), so if you have no interest in working on LI, go with SH. Sure, top 10-15% of Hofstra grads may be able to work in NYC, but that's an 85% chance of NOT working in your target market. Besides, the GPA requirement to keep the scholly money at Hofstra means roughly top 1/3rd of the class... so if you only wind up in the top half of your class, you are shitouttaluck on both the scholarship money and working in your target market.
Go with SH - much better chances of working where you want to work.
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 04:28:14 AM »
SH.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »
perhaps I am wrong when I make this bold statement, but it seems like Hofstra Law has a joke of a reputation in the NYC Metro Area.  I don't think a law degree from Hofstra is highly regarded outside of Long Island.  And while I'm not considering this an accurate depiction of the school, the only two people I know who went there transferred out after one year.  One of them went to Seton Hall.  Seton Hall isn't great but it seems to offer a lot more opportunities than Hofstra, so I'd go with that.

Bogart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
Seton Hall. 3.25 is no sure thing.

lawman1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 07:38:49 PM »
perhaps I am wrong when I make this bold statement, but it seems like Hofstra Law has a joke of a reputation in the NYC Metro Area.  I don't think a law degree from Hofstra is highly regarded outside of Long Island. Seton Hall isn't great but it seems to offer a lot more opportunities than Hofstra.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this?

johnnyv1117

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »
perhaps I am wrong when I make this bold statement, but it seems like Hofstra Law has a joke of a reputation in the NYC Metro Area.  I don't think a law degree from Hofstra is highly regarded outside of Long Island. Seton Hall isn't great but it seems to offer a lot more opportunities than Hofstra.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this?

Wouldnt Say it is a Joke, but it doesn't place as well as Some of the Other Schools in NY like Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Brooklyn, Cardozo, St, John's

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »
saying it was a joke was a little strong on my part.  however, when one NYC attorney was giving me life advice, he was saying that i shouldn't go to a bad school if i bombed the LSAT.  his exact words were "don't go to hofstra."  that combined with the people i know who left the law school suggests it is lacking in several departments.  it doesn't exactly hold a stellar reputation for undergrad either and hempstead is a pretty crappy town (not that newark is better).  i've never known a person who went to hofstra for undergrad or graduate programs and really enjoyed it.

anyway, i know i'm speaking a lot from personal experience and i'm not exactly using a representative sample, but i don't think people who go there are generally happy and you need to consider that.  if the money isn't going to be a deal breaker for you, then Hofstra doesn't seem worth it, at least not to me.  good luck with your decision!