Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: class selection  (Read 234 times)

icdi88

• View Profile
class selection
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »
hello

so my major is hotel & tourism at NYU, which im guessing adcoms will not care if my LSAT score is high, but may
be turned off by it.

Last semester I took a four credit vocal lessons course, and also took expressive cultures ( which is a four credit required Liberal arts course at NYU). I pass/failed the 4-credit expressive cultures course (passed it) and got an A for my vocal
lessons.

This upcoming fall is my final and within my courseload i am taking elementary Korean I and elementary japanese I.

I am actually fluent in korean but because I was born in the states my reading and writing are shaky,
and this is why i take it, in order to get a firm grasp on the written part of the language.

I am taking japanese because i want to learn it.

Combined with my spring semester's pass/fail-ing of the liberal arts course, the vocal lessons..

and this upcoming semester of taking Elementary Korean I and Japanese I together, AS a korean person

will this trend in classes, and combination of two languages (one being korean, which i am korean)
make the adcoms go "wtf?"

thanks!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: class selection
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »
I don't know that they'd look at your application that closely, but assuming they do...

I don't think it's a leap that some people who can fluently speak a language don't have fluency in the technical grammar aspects or writing.  As for the other courses, it's hard to say what they'd think without knowing the strength of your coursework overall, your overall GPA, etc.  If your GPA is weak overall, it may look like you're trying to get GPA boosts from these classes.  However, it's difficult to speculate on what an adcomm might think.  If you're that worried, why not throw in a third, more intensive class?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French