Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: screwed if higher ranked person applies to same school?  (Read 1060 times)

Droz

• View Profile
screwed if higher ranked person applies to same school?
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »
im like top 3ish% and some guy who is top 1% is applying for transfer to several of the same schools. am i likely to get shut out of those schools or will they consider two from the same school? any ideas? thanks.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: screwed if higher ranked person applies to same school?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »
Will probably consider both schools, but I think soft factors such as experience and personal statement might make more of a difference than a couple spots of rank difference. Its hard to say that 1% is so much greater than 2. Not to mention, law schools are not ranked according to transfer students, so they are looking more for quality than quantity (lsat and gpa for regular admissions)

best of luck

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
Don't let that discourage you from applying. In the end, the other guy can only go to one of the schools he is applying to transfer to and you might end up at one of top schools he turned down. Whether or not a school will take more than one transfer from a given school depends on how many transfers that particular school takes. If a school takes only 10 transfers per year then your chances are not as good compared to a school at that takes 40, 50, or more transfers.

jeff112

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »
T10 transfer here (last cycle).  My school accepted a decent number from a nearby T3/T4 school (maybe 3 or so), but also accepted 2 from a T2 school that was pretty far away.  You are most assuredly not screwed.  It might hurt you at a few schools, but if you apply/applied broadly, I doubt you'll end up with nothing.