Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Of these options, which would you choose?

"Docked" Netbook ($350 for me)
 1 (7.7%)
Desktop + Netbook ($650)
 2 (15.4%)
Macbook Air ($1800)
 2 (15.4%)
15'' Macbook Pro + Netbook ($1900)
 6 (46.2%)
Other
 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Computer Shopping  (Read 1294 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Computer Shopping
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:18:40 PM »
I love my netbook (a dell mini 9) and I hate heavy computers, even 4lbs is heavy to me, but I can handle it for short trips (like exams). I'm also cheap, so option 1 really appeals to me. But I'm concerned about whether my netbook is enough computer for exams.

Thoughts?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

gzl

• View Profile
Re: Computer Shopping
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 03:23:26 AM »
I love my netbook (a dell mini 9) and I hate heavy computers, even 4lbs is heavy to me, but I can handle it for short trips (like exams). I'm also cheap, so option 1 really appeals to me. But I'm concerned about whether my netbook is enough computer for exams.

Thoughts?

I love my netbook (chose the HP one because the keyboard was a bit larger, 92% of actual size. Could have gotten a more powerful Dell for the money though.)  It's great for taking notes in class, and because I bike alot, it's perfect for my backpack.  I can't stand it for exams though.  After three hours the smaller keyboard and screen become a big issue for me. Tired fingers make time-consuming typos on that smaller keyboard and tired eyes make the screen seem that much smaller.  I bring in my full-size laptop for exams now, having learned after the first exam that the netbook didn't cut it.

The only concern with Macs is: make sure your school has Mac-compatible testing software.  Mine didn't last semester and a couple students were stuck hand-writing their exams.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:36:22 AM »
Oh, jeez.  I say:

Cheaper + smaller = better.

Don't buy anything fancy.  All you need is Word and solitaire.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »
1) $500 laptop
2) netbook
3) profit

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
Why not get the regular macbook, Shel?  Pros are really heavy and the airs are iffy.  I hear they're not really worth the added cost.  I would get a mac so you can get a free ipod. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
Thanks everyone. I hate this, why can't I just have the power of a desktop in a netbook with a screen that folds out to a desktop monitor's size?

I like the macbook pro because of the screen size and power, if I'm using it primarily as a desktop replacement, I might as well have a desktop replacement :P I am starting to think that the 13" + external monitor is the way to go, but I'll miss the options a desktop would give me.

I guess I could use a decision making boot camp ;) I may end up waiting till the last minute to buy anything. I might just buy the external monitor and hold off until I have a better idea of how I'll be working.

Am I the only one who finds something they loathe in ALL the computer options out there?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
1) $500 laptop
2) netbook
3) profit

I'm a bit of a power user, I eat $500 laptops for breakfast ;D
LSN

NYCFed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »
You may also want to buy a network attached storage device or external hard drive for back ups and media storage, or at least upload copies of any notes and outlines to some form of web storage.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
1) $500 laptop
2) netbook
3) profit

I'm a bit of a power user, I eat $500 laptops for breakfast ;D

In that case,

1) $500 laptop
2) $1000 desktop
3) netbook
4) profit

The laptop is primarily for exams + misc - but I'm unclear as to what you plan to do on your laptop that would qualify you as a "power user".  Gaming, video editing, and multi-task web development all suck on a 14-17" screen.  Docking is pointless when you can get more power and flexibility from a $1500 laptop+desktop combo.