Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law firm interview in early august ...  (Read 797 times)

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
law firm interview in early august ...
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
I got an invitation to an interview at a job fair. biglaw firm.

I wonder if they are still conducting interviews to cover up the fact that they are not doing well. I am sure this firm laid off quite some people back last spring......

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: law firm interview in early august ...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
Ask them at your interview.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
Some firms still insist they'll still hire some people.  The theory is they don't want any talent gaps, where they end up with no junior associates, which will lead to no midlevel associates a few years down the road, and no senior associates for a generation.

On one hand, it's stupid to hire people if there's no work to do (and trust me, there still isn't all that much work to do).  On the other hand, if you think about the ramifications of all the 1st and 2nd year associates who have been laid off and now can't find any other work, combined with the lack of hiring for incoming classes, and it's easy to see that the predictions that Biglaw is now "broken" may have a grain of truth to them.  A pyramid scheme can't run if the bottom layers of the pyramid are removed.

asiangirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »
if they do need people (I am 2011 class) why lay off in the first place? are they slowly predicting things will turn round???

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:56:37 AM »
Fringe attorneys get laid off, not future partners.

The economy has forced firms to get rid of their extra-weight, but they still need to find talented attorneys that will eventually generate revenue.