;

Poll

Where should I go?

UConn
 4 (100%)
Maryland
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: UConn ($) or Maryland  (Read 1294 times)

tennis05

• View Profile
UConn ($) or Maryland
« on: June 09, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
I don't plan on staying at either location after graduation. I am worried about safety and job prospects.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UConn ($) or Maryland
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
UConn easy.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

tennis05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »
Why would you pick UConn? Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:53:19 PM »
Both are good, but UConn is marginally better in almost all areas and the money is the real difference maker.

Youk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
What is Maryland's rep? Though ranked in the low 40's, they don't seem to get much attention nor do the grads seem to get far in DC when compares to all schools in DC (AU, Catholic, G'town, GW).  Of course the last 2 are far better, but still...I'd think they'd do much better.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »
What is Maryland's rep? Though ranked in the low 40's, they don't seem to get much attention nor do the grads seem to get far in DC when compares to all schools in DC (AU, Catholic, G'town, GW).  Of course the last 2 are far better, but still...I'd think they'd do much better.

They don't have a bad rep, but UConn has a better one.

tennis05

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
Does UConn place in the south? I know that it is mainly a regional school but I didn't know if they have any pull in the south which where I would like to end up.  Thanks for all of the advice!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 04:12:07 AM »
Does UConn place in the south? I know that it is mainly a regional school but I didn't know if they have any pull in the south which where I would like to end up.  Thanks for all of the advice!

Got me there. You can probably get a job in the South just fine since people have heard of UConn, but you'll also probably have to forgo any serious alumni network. Maryland might actually be better if you really want the South and believe in the strength of alumni networks.

tennis05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 07:06:16 PM »
My only hesitation with Maryland is the idea of living in Baltimore. From what I have heard, Baltimore isn't a safe place to live. With UConn's ranking falling I am nervous about going there as well even though it is a great school too.

Youk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »
You go that right - B'more isn't hte best city.  There are some nice parts to it.  But since it's smaller than big cities, the tough parts are closer to or next to the nice parts.

Where do you want to live?  Have you thought about deferring a year, then reapplying to schools where you want to live? 

It's always easiest to get jobs in the location you are going to school, save the top schools.