Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When should I get married?  (Read 943 times)

shoegal85

• View Profile
When should I get married?
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:08:30 AM »
This is a spin-off from my previous post. I'm going into 2L in September, and looking for some advice.

My original plan was to set the date for August 2011. After graduation, and after the bar. But I find 2 problems with this: 1) I've always thought long (2+ year) engagements were strange and 2) it might be rushed with graduation, final exams and bar exam

So, I've thought of some more suggestions and would appreciate your input:

1) December 2010: Just after finals 1st semester. Winter wedding.
2) February 2011: Reading week. I will have had a 3 week period over the X-Mas holidays to do any last minute planning
3) May 2011: JUST after graduation, I can get married and then leave another 6 weeks fully dedicated to the bar.
4) @#!* it all and elope

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
Re: When should I get married?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »
As someone having a "real" wedding soon, I say go with option 4 no matter what the circumstances.  Weddings are so not worth all the stress!  All that matters is that you are married to the person you love; how you do it is not important. 

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »
There is no such thing as an engagement that is "too long".

When crossing the street, you should look left, right, and left again for oncoming traffic before proceeding across.  Assume this street has 100 lanes.  Proceed with extreme caution and at your own risk.

musiclikemercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »
I would recommend a month after taking the bar.

I'm getting married Aug 22, a couple weeks before 3L starts. The bulk of my planning was done during this past spring semester. If you plan well, you can have all of your planning done before bar studying (with the occasional meeting with a caterer, shopping trip, etc.). The few things you'd need to get done during bar prep would probably be a good thing so you can get out once in awhile! Just bust ass planning during the spring (which is very possible to do while taking classes), take a couple months off for studying, and then you have time for all the last minute things after the bar.

Also, eloping is not a bd idea at all...I'm starting to wish that's what we had done. However, that might just be because I don't seem to enjoy wedding planning as much as most chicks :)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
This is a spin-off from my previous post. I'm going into 2L in September, and looking for some advice.

My original plan was to set the date for August 2011. After graduation, and after the bar. But I find 2 problems with this: 1) I've always thought long (2+ year) engagements were strange and 2) it might be rushed with graduation, final exams and bar exam

So, I've thought of some more suggestions and would appreciate your input:

1) December 2010: Just after finals 1st semester. Winter wedding.
2) February 2011: Reading week. I will have had a 3 week period over the X-Mas holidays to do any last minute planning
3) May 2011: JUST after graduation, I can get married and then leave another 6 weeks fully dedicated to the bar.
4) @#!* it all and elope

may 2011 is not weird, but august 2011 is?

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 06:10:06 PM »
I vote for NEVER.  That wasn't an option, but it should be.   ;)
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »
Here's thinking like a lawyer... if you're awarded your degree after you get married, then it's treated as a marital asset subject division should you have any 'marital difficulties'. Nobody likes to think about that possibility before they get married, but there is a 50% divorce rate here. So when should you get married? AFTER you've earned your JD. Then it would be considered personal property that you're bringing into the marriage and its value not counted toward the marital assets that would be up for division.
Good luck,
Rob

St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »
I vote for NEVER.  That wasn't an option, but it should be.   ;)

Seconded.