Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Real Estate Law  (Read 753 times)

Pax86

• View Profile
    • Email
Real Estate Law
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »
Does anyone have any experience practicing real estate law. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to get into, how it comapares to other areas in terms of stress/hours, or just any general thoughts about it. Thanks

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Real Estate Law
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
real estate is still sort of a broad area.  you can focus on transactional stuff or litigation or do a mix.  in this economy, i think most of the work is in real estate litigation so be prepared for litigation if you want to go into it.

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
I am interning at a law firm that practices mostly real estate law (i.e. settlement, bankruptcy, foreclosure). Some of the job is rather routine (i.e. most foreclosure complaints are never litigated because--in fact--the homeowner did not pay and getting a judgment is quite easy)--but the job also has its interesting aspects. Dealing with mortgages, easements, etc. can get quite complex, and legal research is always involved. Moreover, some travel is involved--i get to go to sheriff sales once a month, lol. In terms of hours, it doesn't seem as bad as some of the BIG LAW hours you hear about on here. No doubt the attorney's are busy, but are offices are closed on the weekends and usually everyone is gone by around 5 or 6. Some attorney's do some of their work at home, but its not 70+ hours a week. I'd say give it a shot.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 01:21:04 AM »
I am interning at a law firm that practices mostly real estate law (i.e. settlement, bankruptcy, foreclosure). Some of the job is rather routine (i.e. most foreclosure complaints are never litigated because--in fact--the homeowner did not pay and getting a judgment is quite easy)--but the job also has its interesting aspects. Dealing with mortgages, easements, etc. can get quite complex, and legal research is always involved. Moreover, some travel is involved--i get to go to sheriff sales once a month, lol. In terms of hours, it doesn't seem as bad as some of the BIG LAW hours you hear about on here. No doubt the attorney's are busy, but are offices are closed on the weekends and usually everyone is gone by around 5 or 6. Some attorney's do some of their work at home, but its not 70+ hours a week. I'd say give it a shot.

How much are starting salaries at your real estate law firm? How hard is it to get hired there?