Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why do people give Cooley such a hard time?  (Read 10930 times)

ondeadlin

• View Profile
Re: Why do people give Cooley such a hard time?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
Cooley has a very good reputation within the state.

I used to be the one who would call and invite firms for on-campus interviews (OCI) and resume collections (RC). The only human resources person who ever said anything about Cooley's reputation to me while I actively tried to recruit their firm was from California. All she told me was that she would take resumes, but from only the top two or three ranks. Every other firm I talked to, which was in the hundreds, would at the least look at the office's recruitment packages.

If this is accurate, why do only four Michigan firms attend OCI (numbers from NALP?)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 08:53:29 PM »

I used to be the one who would call and invite firms for on-campus interviews (OCI) and resume collections (RC). The only human resources person who ever said anything about Cooley's reputation to me while I actively tried to recruit their firm was from California. All she told me was that she would take resumes, but from only the top two or three ranks. Every other firm I talked to, which was in the hundreds, would at the least look at the office's recruitment packages.

If this is accurate, why do only four Michigan firms attend OCI (numbers from NALP?)

From what I understand, they did have a good rep in the recent past. It's only in the last decade or so that they've came to be viewed with contempt, so the ol' timers probably still remember a time when they were respectable and go off that.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

alienwalrus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 12:33:30 AM »

I can't say why NALP only listed four Michigan firms, but if you did a recent search my guess would be that the OCI season hasn't hit full swing yet (and won't for a month or two) so there probably aren't very many OCIs submitted to NALP at this time. That doesn't mean there aren't more OCIs scheduled, I'd be very surprised if there weren't, I'm simply saying that NALP might not have been updated yet.

I know from first hand experience that we had alot more than four OCIs from Michigan firms in previous years.

lawrookie

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 12:57:55 AM »
Which Cooley Campus did you work at?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 02:32:14 AM »
I know from first hand experience that we had alot more than four OCIs from Michigan firms in previous years.

Only a small subset of law firms are NALP firms.  But typically the "best" firms (i.e., highest paying) are on NALP.  Thus, many prospective students do not care about non-NALP firms.

ondeadlin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »
I can't say why NALP only listed four Michigan firms, but if you did a recent search my guess would be that the OCI season hasn't hit full swing yet (and won't for a month or two) so there probably aren't very many OCIs submitted to NALP at this time. That doesn't mean there aren't more OCIs scheduled, I'd be very surprised if there weren't, I'm simply saying that NALP might not have been updated yet.

Actually, those numbers were from last year.