Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UALR for Career in South?  (Read 991 times)

justice2012

• View Profile
UALR for Career in South?
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »
DISCLAIMER:: This is my second time posting this, I posted it in the wrong section the first time.

What will my chances of practicing in Atlanta or the south in general be if I attend UALR? Would I be limited to ONLY Arkansas?? I know it won't travel very far but I have family in GA and can see myself living there eventually. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UALR for Career in South?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »
Arkansas will be the obvious destination, but Atlanta isn't out of the question by any means. If you can, go to THE University of Arkansas for the best results.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

justice2012

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »
Okay thanks Ninja! I REALLY would love to move to ATL after graduation. I'm sure I have to do some major networking though.

justice2012

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
Okay thanks Ninja! I REALLY would love to move to ATL after graduation. I'm sure I have to do some major networking though.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
I go to the U of A - Fayetteville, and I think that if you did well here and networked the crap out of your Atlanta connections you could wind up there. I mean obviously you'd have to do very well to end up with a big firm in ATL, but by putting together a good legal resume and really working your connections you could make it happen.

Any reason you want to go to school in AR though as opposed to other state schools closer to, or in, GA?

justice2012

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »
I only applied to Georgia State and I was not accepted. I was accepted to both schools in Arkansas and a couple of others in the surrounding areas... I'm leaning towards UALR because it is in the city and they are offering a lot more money.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
Well I can understand making the decision on $$, but Little Rock is nothing special (unless you like high crime rates). In fact, Fayetteville, in my opinion, would offer about a 10x better quality of life while in school. I went to undergrad here too but am originally from, and will return after law school to, Dallas. Fayetteville is probably not what you imagine it being...I had the some negative preconceived notions before visiting before UG though.

Also as a previous poster mentioned, the law school here seems to carry itself out of the state moreso than UALR. And if $$ is the main issue, I know you can get in-state after the first year...although I don't know what the whole process for that is. In-state here (~$10K/year) is about as cheap as law school at a decent school gets

I only applied to Georgia State and I was not accepted. I was accepted to both schools in Arkansas and a couple of others in the surrounding areas... I'm leaning towards UALR because it is in the city and they are offering a lot more money.

justice2012

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:48:51 PM »
That may very well be true, but I have visited ualr and I really like Little Rock. Like any other small town/city it has its ups and downs. Also, I feel that I'd fit right in. Every school isn't for anyone. I believe that although UALR may not be ranked as highly or known as well as UA, it is a perfect fit for me. I guess I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into as far as job prospects. I do appreciate your responses though and they have been helpful!

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:45:09 PM »
Fair enough...I hope I didn't come off as pushing you one way or the other. I was just trying to add to the conversation with my point of view. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

That may very well be true, but I have visited ualr and I really like Little Rock. Like any other small town/city it has its ups and downs. Also, I feel that I'd fit right in. Every school isn't for anyone. I believe that although UALR may not be ranked as highly or known as well as UA, it is a perfect fit for me. I guess I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into as far as job prospects. I do appreciate your responses though and they have been helpful!

justice2012

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »
Oh not at all! I asked for your opinion and you gave it. No hard feelings here. And you can't help it that ur biased ;-)