Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Maryland or Catholic?  (Read 558 times)

Youk

• View Profile
Maryland or Catholic?
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »
Live in DC and prefer to return to DC to practice or perhaps head back up the coast to the northeast.

Both P/T and tuition cheaper at MD; of course I'm extremely aware of cost. That said - after schollie and employer contribution, tuition at CUA only a few grand more.  Schollie, is small and top 25% to retain. 

On paper MD is the better school, but seems like CUA is better to have if I wan to stay in DC. I would be able to network where I live, whereas with MD in Baltimore, could be harder to forge the network in DC where there are far more CUA grads. 

Agree or disagree?  Opinions?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Maryland or Catholic?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Forget about CUA. DC is a ruthlessly competitive legal job market, among the toughest in the country.

You need to minimize your debt. A small scholarship that you'll lose after the first year (assuming median grades) is not something I would put much stock in. Can you get in-state at UMD? if so, I'd go there.

UMD has a much better rep, but at either school, you'll need to blaze your own trail as far as finding a job goes.

Youk

• View Profile
Re: Maryland or Catholic?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »
Having lived in DC for over 4 years, I know full well what the legal market is here.  The issue is that I'd have to wait a year for MD (job transfer) and since I'm already in my late 20's, I'd like to get on w/ my life.  Plus, there is no guarantee I'd get a job transfer, so there is a good chance I'd have to take a job that pays less in Baltimore.  Finally, my network in DC is real strong and being here would help me network and land internships to beef up my resume.

MD places nearly all grads in MD as one might expect and I don't get the sense MD rep in DC is so strong that if I put my resume in front people with MD on the resume instead of Catholic, that it has a wow factor that will get people's attention. 

I understand the debt issue, which is one reason why MD is preferred.