Law School Discussion

To transfer or not....

To transfer or not....
« on: June 06, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
I know a lot of this question's answer is going to center around "do what feels right for you" or what not, but I am trying to get a little objective advice if possible!

I am currently at a T50. First year's grades are good, probably put me somewhere in the top 5-6% of my class.

I haven't really considered transferring much yet, but I'd ideally like to go to Chicago to work and my current school does not place many people in Chicago.

Is it really better to try to get the higher prestige name by transferring, or accept law review, work hard here, and keep up my ranking? I am open to working in a good # of places, not just Chicago too.  I pay almost full price here (which sucks...I should ask them for 2L money..)

Also, in an established relationship that has been strong and great in this city, but she would not be able to re-locate with me which would cause a lot of stress for me.

What do ya think? I tried to include anything relevant but if you need more let me know.

Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
transfer to a T14.  do it.


  • ****
  • 3041
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 01:03:47 AM »
Transfer, but if you don't do that, shake the current school down for money.

Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:18 AM »
Top 5 percent at a T50 w/ law review, depending on which T50 it is, is kind of a tough call.  Many of those schools have good reputations, either within their state or even stretching throughout an entire region.

I'd apply to those highly ranked schools that would cause a double take if you were to be admitted.  If, for a variety of reasons, there are only, say, 6 schools that you would really consider leaving your current school for, apply to those and see what happens.  Transfer acceptances are tough to predict in that you probably won't get into ALL of them, but with those numbers, you will get into some.  When you have those decisions, you'll be in a better position to decide what to do.

In the meantime, I'd approach your current school for additional funds.  You might strike out, though; several schools see scholarship funds as a way to increase their rankings.  Outgoing transfer students don't have any effect on the all-mighty USNWR.


  • ****
  • 1307
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »
As others have said 1) go ahead and apply to transfer to some national schools and 2) hit up your current school for money.  Once you have your options nailed down, you can then determine how your personal relationship will affect the decision.

Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
I didnt transfer when I had the opportunity and regret it now.  Although being at the top of your class at a T50 will open doors, there are certainly opportunities that are closed off to you because of your school.  I attended a top 20 (before it started sucking and slipped down the rankings). Certain firms wouldnt even consider hiring students from my school regardless of grades.  In addition, opportunities in academia are limited.  If the relationship is meant to work out, it will.

Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »
Here's an objective piece of advice based on your subjective views on the world.

Which are you first?  A partner in a romantic relationship, or a high powered attorney.  Choose your school accordingly.

Basically, it comes down not to which is better, but which "loss" is more tolerable.  Would staying at a lower prestige school for a relationship cause you to resent the relationship?  Then go as far up the ladder as ya can.
Would leaving your partner behind for glory at a T(x) school make you so sullen and lonely that you'd start doing horrible in school and work?  Then take the law review bid and be happy with your lot.

I'd choose love over money any day of the week...  except when rent is due.


  • ****
  • 194
    • View Profile
Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
I think you'll be fine either way.  Top 5% at a T1 school w/ law review is going to get you a good job.  If you are interested in clerkships/academia it might be worth the transfer though.

Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
Thanks for the help folks. After a lot of deep thought I think I'll stay where I am at. I am basically seeking government related work and plan to use the federal loan repayment program for that (oh please god still exist in 2 years..) so the relatively high cost at both is not a huge factor. No interest in academia or biglaw so I figure I may as well stick with whats comfortable and successful thus far.

Re: To transfer or not....
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:01:30 PM »
Smart move.