Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Awful 1L year  (Read 2106 times)

legally_doomed

• View Profile
Awful 1L year
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:16:02 PM »
I did poorly during my first semester of law school and the second semster ended similarly. I'm currently enrolled in summer school and am doing two judicial internships. I go to a T2 school w/ a B curve. Is it worthwhile to continue (i.e. will I have any job prospects)?

gzl

• View Profile
Re: Awful 1L year
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »
I did poorly during my first semester of law school and the second semster ended similarly. I'm currently enrolled in summer school and am doing two judicial internships. I go to a T2 school w/ a B curve. Is it worthwhile to continue (i.e. will I have any job prospects)?

Of course you will.  There are people graduating from tier 4 and even non-ABA schools doing quite well.  Make sure you pass the bar on the first try. Work your a** off networking and the like.  Top tier and excellent records open doors, for sure.  That doesn't mean that's the ONLY way to open some of those doors.

bt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
I wouldn't be that optimistic in this economy.  However, look at the bright side: you've got a year (or at least a semester) to try and bring up your overall GPA in time for 2L summer jobs. 

My guess would be, if you want biglaw/good clerkship/etc., you're going to have a very tough time unless you do really well next semester.  But if you have a *passion* for the law and are willing to do other things, then I don't think you'll be unable to find a job. 

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 02:52:56 AM »
Bad news is that BIGLaw is virtually guaranteed to not be an option. Heck, if you're at a T2, chances are that regular OCI won't be an option for you. However, the good news is that those aren't the only ways that law students get jobs. They may be the most traditional ways and the ways most likely to bring in big money, but they certainly aren't hte only ways. As Gonzo indicated, you're going to have to work to make up for your grades... and when I say work, I don't mean just pull up your grades, I mean network and other activities that will get your name noticed. Attend guest speakers, alumni functions, club meetings, local bar meetings, etc.... In short, you won't be following the 'easy' path to post graduation employment, but that doesn't mean you're going to be stuck busing tables at TGIFridays. You'll just have to put in more effort
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 04:00:45 AM »
You're good. You're not getting big law, but you're still going to be able to get much better jobs than anything you'd get with a BA.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Degrees either have latin honors or don't.  You won't, but after your first job you will be indistinguishable from a peer who just missed cum laude.  Sort of not fair to him or her, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:32:09 PM »
Degrees either have latin honors or don't.  You won't, but after your first job you will be indistinguishable from a peer who just missed cum laude.  Sort of not fair to him or her, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

TITCR. The strivers that didn't quite make it get punished the hardest in the grand scheme of things.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:25:57 AM »
Define "awful."  Considering most schools even in the T2 have like 90%+ people having jobs 9 months from graduation I'm sure you will get something.  It just might not be that fat 6 figure job you were hoping for.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:03:24 AM »
Define "awful."  Considering most schools even in the T2 have like 90%+ people having jobs 9 months from graduation I'm sure you will get something.  It just might not be that fat 6 figure job you were hoping for.

If you believe those employment stats, I have a bridge to sell you...

That 90% number includes people who, after not finding legal work for 8 months and desperately need some cash to avoid being evicted, go out and get that job at TGIFridays.  Or next year, it will include people who got min wage jobs working at their school.  The schools bill it as a great service they're providing for their grads in this terrible economy, but in reality, it's geared toward protecting that all important employment stat that so many people fall for.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »
Right - I know that they pad their #s but I very much doubt that a significant % of T2 grads are working at the local bar.  Far more likely that they're doing legal temp work or something.