Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone Kinda Wish They Could Do 1L Again?  (Read 1068 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone Kinda Wish They Could Do 1L Again?
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:19:29 PM »
I'm in the middle of spring cleaning, as I prepare to vacate my place and move to an apartment building, and I found my hand-written notes from the first few weeks of 1L.  It's amazing at how far we've come, and how much sense it all makes now.  If I could do it all over again, I would retain so much more and enjoy it.

For instance, my Torts prof seemed so mysterious and brilliant then, but his comments are legal common sense now.  My favorite part in my notes is a page in which I furiously write down the "principles" behind a false imprisonment citizen's arrest cases.  They're so obvious now: discouraging citizens from making arrests without more than probable cause; a desire to leave the work to real law enforcement; et cetera.  I remember thinking, "Boy, I'll never be as smart as that guy."   :)

I think this is a good post for 0Ls, at least; the 1L year is a blast.  I'm going to miss it.  As much as grades matter and the stress builds, it's an experience worth enjoying.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Kinda Wish They Could Do 1L Again?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
  If I could do it all over again, I would retain so much more and enjoy it.

Its called BarBri. Minus the enjoying.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
I damn sure would do a lot better if I could go back with everything I know now.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »
  If I could do it all over again, I would retain so much more and enjoy it.

Its called BarBri. Minus the enjoying.

It's also called 2L, and then 3L, and then you don't wish you could do any of it over again because you're just glad you're done.  And then it's called BarBri, which actually is a hell of a lot more like you thought law school was going to be like when you were an 0L.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »
I wish I could do it again to get better grades!

Also, after 1st semester, everything is much more illuminated and not so awful.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 11:02:30 PM »
No, I do NOT wish I could do 1L again. 

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »
Looking back now, I do wish I could do 1L again. I came to law school with zero legal background and I didn't even know what the heck IRAC was just to tell you how little I knew of law school. I wish I had read some books on how to do well in law school and at least some nutshell series to get me started thinking about these classes, you know at least get into a legal mind frame.  When you are graded on a B curve, you cannot afford to fall behind too much and so everything you can read in advance will help you. That's some advice I will give to future incoming students too.   

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
Looking back now, I do wish I could do 1L again. I came to law school with zero legal background and I didn't even know what the heck IRAC was just to tell you how little I knew of law school. I wish I had read some books on how to do well in law school and at least some nutshell series to get me started thinking about these classes, you know at least get into a legal mind frame.  When you are graded on a B curve, you cannot afford to fall behind too much and so everything you can read in advance will help you. That's some advice I will give to future incoming students too.   

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
You would seriously want to do that all over again?  I just want someone to start paying me for legal work -- instead of me paying them!