Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Planning a marriage during law school. Tell me what you think?  (Read 1939 times)

shoegal85

• View Profile
Boyfriend and I have been together since high school. 25 years old, he will be 29 this year.
I am going into my 2nd year in September, and we are thinking of getting engaged this summer, and getting married after I graduate in July 2011. That will give me next summer to plan.

Am I an idealist? Do you think I'm going to be too distracted planning this year during the school year?

Any thoughts or advice from current law students would be greatly appreciated.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a marriage during law school. Tell me what you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 10:49:18 AM »
This is actually my plan too...need the money from 2L summer to buy her a ring. Obviously, I don't have personal experience, but my best friend is getting married in a few weeks. His fiancee is in vet school and has been planning the wedding all year. From what she's told me, it seems like vet school is more of a time committment than law school and it sounds like she has still been doing fine, so I'm guessing you will too. I'm sure it'll cut into a bit of your leisure time, but it can be done.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 01:43:18 PM »
I got married Fall semester of 2L.  I don't think it's difficult at all.  If your schedule has a little flexibility, try to take a class or two less than you usually would.  I took 3 classes, and didn't suffer any huge GPA letdown. 

You will be distracted, but #1 2L is easier, #2 it's good to have something to distract you from law school.  Balance in life is good, ya know?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »
These plans should work, because 2L is supposed to be easy and less crucial.  I would go forward.  I also think that, considering the hours of preparation a wedding entails, it's better to do it now rather than when you're an associate at a law firm.

Congratulations!

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »
I'm not so sure this is a great idea.  Studying for the Bar is a huge time commitment and it starts pretty much right after you graduate.  I guess if you set the date for August and get all your planning done well before finals, it's doable, but planning a wedding can be more of a pain in the arse than you realize.  There can be a lot of last minute issues that pop up.  Maybe you should schedule it for late August.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:22 PM »
Wait until he takes a family law class and sees how much fun a divorce would be, and then see if he still wants to get married.

I am the Lorax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »
I'm a rising 2L getting married next month.  Wedding is on the other side of the country.  We decided to just let our parents plan the whole thing.  We're not the type to care about wedding details so it worked out great for us.  So let go of any princess wedding planning ideas and let someone else take care of it and you should be fine.  Remember, the wedding is just one day but your law school grades have much longer staying power. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
I got married my after my 1L year in August.  We did the same thing, let our parents plan the entire thing. We basically just showed up.  Ours was a little difficult too because there were two religions involved so I tried to stay out of it as much as possible! Our parents are amazing so hopefully you'll get a little help that way too. It was not a big deal at all.  I didn't stress out about it.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »
I actually got married like 2 weeks before 1L started.  It was pretty hard to spend 24/7 together, get married, and then be like "cya later, gotta study."  But anyhow, you can't put your life on hold forever just because you lead a busy life...  No attorney would ever get married if they thought like that.  There's always going to be something. 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 09:02:50 PM »
I'm your age, married and in law school. I don't think law school should be anything to hold you back. imho law school is less demanding on a relationship than a typical job - its a lot of work yes, but extremely flexible and allows you to spend a surprising amount of time together.
HLS 2010