Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Honest opinion....I can take it...  (Read 700 times)

BeeBopBooBop

• View Profile
Honest opinion....I can take it...
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:38:22 PM »
So my numbers are pretty terrible.  I have a GPA of 3.3 and an LSAT of 153.  I was waitlisted at Villanova and it is probably my dream school.  I have great softs and great LORs (which is why I think I was waitlisted and not flat-out rejected).  An alum of the law school is going to write me an LOR to help me get off the waitlist.  I'm wondering if this would help at all? 

Also, does anybody know an approximate amount of students that Nova has let off of the waitlist in previous years?

Thanks everyone.

Youk

• View Profile
Re: Honest opinion....I can take it...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »
What type of work experience?  Non traditional applicant?  

Regardless, having alum support helps at most schools, but not all.  What you should do, if you haven't already, is meet with admissions, not anyone...it needs to be someone who is on the decision making process.  Clearly state you will definitely attend if admitted.  Follow up with formal stating that as well and it should also include recent accomplishments or updates relevant to your case since your app was filed.  Specifically, any awards, leadership roles you have assumed and so forth.  

This should have been done immediately following the decision, but regardless do it asap if you haven't already.  Finally, scour alum connections to get more letters, however, it's important each letter adds value and are not just run of the mill type letter.

Finally, I've gotten off 3 waitlists at schools this year. 2 of which, that by the numbers I should not have been admitted.  Waitlist movement this year is far more than past years, but you cannot really compare year to year for most schools.  Especially now, since the environment has changed so much.  

Good luck!

BeeBopBooBop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »
Thanks!  I did send an LOCI a few days after I was WLed and informed them I would absolutely attend if I was accepted.  I have heard that Nova does not really like when WLed kids ask for tours and are often rude to them.  When they sent the WL email out the basically said don't bother them unless you are sending something to add to your application package...so that is the only reason I have hesitated about taking a formal tour of the school.

You said you have been admitted off WLs at schools you shouldnt that you shouldnt have been admitted to with your numbers?  Did you have alum connections?  job promotion?  What do you think helped you get in over everyone else?

Youk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 11:55:17 AM »
Most schools say don't bother them, but I submitted not only a letter detailing my continued interest, but each month an update on recent activities/accomplishments. What they don't want is someone to show up for a tour and talk and talk about him or herself.  What you can do is take a self guided tour, then turn around saying you visited the school, and if you have already visited, that you visited again, and it just reaffirmed your desire to attend. 

Actually, I did not have alum connections at either school.  For one I visited personally and kept in touch.  FOr the other I had conversation over the phone.  What you can do to get a meeting is ask to speak w/ admissions person (again, a decision maker) to discuss the WL process.  Ask how they handle the waitlist, do they rank it and so forht.  During that conversation you can talk to your desire to attend. 

Each month my updates varied from continued success at work w/ expectation of a promotion as told to me by superiors; additional community service that provided me leadership opportunities.  They all tied back to my personal statement and application platform.  Many times people get off a WL and cannot attend or withdraw interest.  Stay the course, keep updating and showing you are on an upward projection.

By having a meeting or a call with someone in decision making process, you've est a connection, someone you can continually update and add your letters to the file. 

I'm also a P/T applicant, so that's slighlty different I bet, however, one of the schools I got in is a top 50.  My numbers: 2.9/159. Clearly short of typical numbers they expect. But I have 4-5 years of strong work experience and both rec's were v. strong. It was my resume/personal statement that kept me from getting rejected.  That was made clear to me by both schools.

In both cases, believe it was my ability to show upward trajectory, keeping consistent/monthly comms w/ the person in the admissions office and just restating that I'd go that got me accepted. 

Again, it's quality not quantity.  A letter restating previous information does nothing, you have show that you are not complacent and continually pushing yourself.

What are your other options?  If you don't get in at Nova, inquire about what if you reapply next year...would tha tincrease your odds?  Do NOT do this until they have sent you a letter that the WL process is closed.  Otherwise you'd give them the opp to keep from admitting you this year.   

Hope this helps.