Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: i need advice  (Read 809 times)

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
i need advice
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »
Hi everyone -
First of all, I find this board really helpful. Thanks for your help everyone. I have one concern. I am interested in transferring. Why is it that for some lower ranked schools, tranfer applicants need to be ranked in the top 5-10% of their class; whereas for some of the higher ranked schools, those schools seem to be generally more lenient about the class ranking, ie top 1/3 of the class?  Can someone explain to me?

Rene Descartes

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: i need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »
I think the perception is that the higher ranked schools already have a greater number of competitive students, so you don't need to do as well relative to them as you would need to perform relative to less competitive students.  In other words, because the average student is less competitive (numbers-wise) at a lower ranked school, you have to really stand out to look as competitive as someone pulling top third at a higher ranked school (where the average student is much more competitive, numbers-wise).
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:15:43 PM »
I think the perception is that the higher ranked schools already have a greater number of competitive students, so you don't need to do as well relative to them as you would need to perform relative to less competitive students.  In other words, because the average student is less competitive (numbers-wise) at a lower ranked school, you have to really stand out to look as competitive as someone pulling top third at a higher ranked school (where the average student is much more competitive, numbers-wise).

In other words, kids are smarter at higher ranked schools.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:49:22 PM »

In other words, kids are smarter at higher ranked schools.

I think the question was actually addressing a different point.  It seems the OP is asking why some lower schools require HIGHER standards (top 10%) for their transfer applicants, whereas the better ranked schools have LOWER standards (top 33%). 

I don't actually know where the OP got this information or what led him/her to believe that this is the case.  At least, this is what I think he/she was asking.

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »
Yes, this is what I am asking. Sorry I didn't make myself clearly the first time.
For example, I know that for one school in the 50's, they require at least a top 5-10% performance; whereas a school in the 30's requires a top third performance. At least from what I read int he FAQ section for transferring students.

deexod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »
More money by application fees, but some of the numbers are the minimum the school will take and some are what you need to be a competitive applicant. I would call the individual schools admissino office and ask them based on what approximate ranking your school is. Some schools will say if you are coming from a T1 be in the top 25% T2 Top 15% T3-4 Top 10-15% on the phone while their site says top quarter of the class. If you find out the competitive number, IMO gives you a better idea of where you will need to fall in.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:09:58 AM »
Yeah, I think it is because schools in the 50s generally get applicants from T4 students so they require top 10%.  On the other hand, schools in the T20 often get apps from T1 schools (which already have a relatively high student quality) so they might let people in with top 20-30%.