Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA or NYU  (Read 1634 times)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA or NYU
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »
Take the LSAT before you start fretting about stuff like UCLA v. NYU. It's a close enough call that you want to know exactly what your options are before you try to even begin to think about deciding between the two. You really don't know what you'll be choosing between until you have your numbers at the very least. There will be time enough to angst over your options after you get your decisions.

If you have any general types of questions about the Nor Cal market, I am working in SF this summer (and actually had a similar GPA and LSAT to what you think you might be looking at, if you care to hear any war stories about the admissions process).  :)
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »
Goaliechica: I thought Boalt took you right away, no?  Or did you almost have to pick *gasp* Chicago?   :P

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »
Goaliechica: I thought Boalt took you right away, no?  Or did you almost have to pick *gasp* Chicago?   :P

They did indeed take me early (I'm flattered that you remember  :-[).  Does something in my post imply otherwise?  ??? I just meant I could tell him how my cycle turned out and what I knew about posters with similar number profiles.

But, yeah, I didn't really come remotely close to picking Chicago  ;)

ETA: Full disclaimers about Chicago being a lovely school but not making much sense for me, etc. etc.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

themathminister

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
Really? Your gpa must have been higher than mine if you got into Boalt?

But, yes I would be very curious to hear about the admissions process for you.

I know I shouldn't be worrying before I even get my score, but my LSAT is on Monday and I have to do some SOMETHING to keep myself from going crazy.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »
thanks...uh oh, my story seems similar to yours (my last 3 pts were 176, 176, and 171). since your practice scores were similar to mine, can I solicit you for some advice as to what I should do this weekend? More tests? or relax. Was there a difference between your 167 and 174 besides psyching yourself out?

Sorry for the load of questions, but your answer is appreciated.

I prepared more for the 167 and 174.  For both I self studied with practice tests.  Take it easy this weekend.  Some people do a few questions the morning of the test to get them in the zone... do that if you'd like, but doing more than that could risk your feeling fresh for the exam. 

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:38:03 PM »
I believe Goalie had just about the numbers you're contemplating.

I had similar numbers and they still told me to go piss up a rope. Boalt's funny like that.

Also, yes, definitely too early to be playing the one school vs. one school game. That's for next March.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
I believe Goalie had just about the numbers you're contemplating.

I had similar numbers and they still told me to go piss up a rope. Boalt's funny like that.

Also, yes, definitely too early to be playing the one school vs. one school game. That's for next March.

yeah, i had a 3.96 and boalt waitlisted me without ever admitting me. so it's pretty unpredictable.

OP, i would do NYU. the rankings difference is pretty substantial and you'll get plenty of opportunities to get a CA job through OCI. but again, take the lsat and see what happens.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »
http://onelassociate.tumblr.com/ a blog about southern california 1L summer
abovethelaw.com job prospects and law news
younglawyersblog.com job prospects and news

good comparisons to make, do some research