Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA or NYU  (Read 1594 times)

themathminister

• View Profile
UCLA or NYU
« on: June 04, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. This is a hypothetical, but very possible situation for me next cycle:

UCLA with a small/decent scholarship (I already have residency so would be like 20-25k tuition)
or NYU no scholarship (I'm guessing NYU tuition is around 40-45k)

Extenuating circumstances/factors:
I know for sure I want to practice in California and not in NY.
My brother and sister will be in LA going to college/grad school; futhermore, no one I know will be in NY.
I don't give a crap about prestige necessarily, I just want to know I can secure a good job.

Will going to NYU really make that much of a difference than going to UCLA which is in the state I want to practice?

Thanks for the input.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA or NYU
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
NYU will make a big difference in your ability to get biglaw. It will be something like twice as likely. At the same time, biglaw isn't the be-all-end-all of the legal world, and the lower debt might balance it out.

In the end, the right choice will depend on what you want out of your legal career.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:35:06 PM »
you say you want to live in California.  from what I have read/heard there is a big difference between a UCLA degree in So Cal and a UCLA degree in Northern Cal.

anyway, you could be looking at a full tuition scholarship from UCLA if your numbers are good enough to get into NYU.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »

Then go to the best school you can in CA. This is really like saying I know for sure I want to own a Saab and live in LA, will going to Delaware and buying a BMW help me achieving my goal? NYU has a great name, but its easier to find a job cross country when youíre already cross country. What about Berkeley if you can get into NYU you should get in there.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

themathminister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:42:53 AM »
I am taking the lsat in 3 days, but before doing any prep I got a 167, and I haven't scored below a 170 in over a month. so that's why this situation is likely. Berkeley is most likely not an option, because they weigh on gpa heavily, and mine is a 3.65. So I need like a 177 to have a chance at Berkeley. (according to LSN).

I want to practice in nor cal though, that I should have mentioned. So maybe NYU is better?

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:58:45 AM »
I am taking the lsat in 3 days, but before doing any prep I got a 167, and I haven't scored below a 170 in over a month. so that's why this situation is likely. Berkeley is most likely not an option, because they weigh on gpa heavily, and mine is a 3.65. So I need like a 177 to have a chance at Berkeley. (according to LSN).

I want to practice in nor cal though, that I should have mentioned. So maybe NYU is better?

Maybe, but first go in and kick the LSATs ass.  I was consistently getting 170s and my last three PTs were 174,176,175 (my 3 highest PTs... most previously were 171 or 172), then I got a 167.  I psyched myself out a bit.  I was much calmer the second time and scored a 174.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
Why are you thinking about NYU only?   What bout Penn?  What about Michigan?  If you score in mid 170s, you might even have a chance at Harvard or Stanford. 

themathminister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »
thanks...uh oh, my story seems similar to yours (my last 3 pts were 176, 176, and 171). since your practice scores were similar to mine, can I solicit you for some advice as to what I should do this weekend? More tests? or relax. Was there a difference between your 167 and 174 besides psyching yourself out?

Sorry for the load of questions, but your answer is appreciated.

themathminister

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
Well NYU is better than Penn and Michigan, no?

And I think for my gpa (3.65), like Berkeley, I would need a 177+ to get into Harvard or Stanford. But if by some miracle I score that high, I will indeed try for those.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »

Then go to the best school you can in CA. This is really like saying I know for sure I want to own a Saab and live in LA, will going to Delaware and buying a BMW help me achieving my goal? NYU has a great name, but its easier to find a job cross country when youíre already cross country. What about Berkeley if you can get into NYU you should get in there.

Argh, terrible advice.  NYU is way better for both public interest or private practice. Unless you want to do insurance defense in riverside or water law or something.  And i'd expect plenty of people wouldn't get into Berkeley because it's emphasis on GPA over LSAT.  Go to NYU.