Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Houston vs. Texas Tech  (Read 6390 times)

bzgarcia

• View Profile
University of Houston vs. Texas Tech
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »
I'm deciding between U of H and Tech... I'm very torn between the two! Anyone have any insight???

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Houston vs. Texas Tech
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »
Can't really go wrong. I've liked pretty much everything I've seen from both schools and I considered Texas Tech for a while.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:55:08 PM »
My vote would be Houston because its in a big city which gives you plenty of chances to networking, clerk, intern w/o having to move over the summer and sublet and all that crap.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »
And the Texas residents says........Uof H.  It is highly regarded in Texas.  However, Tech is up there as well.  But in the land of several good law schools, U of H is among the top 4 in Texas.  Tech falls outside of the top 4.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »
Total debt expected from each school?
Scholarship to either school, and what class rank do you need to renew scholarship?
Any particular city you want to practice in?
Any particular type of job (firm, government, solo practice, etc.)?

All else being equal, UH is far better.  But for the right cost, Tech could be a smarter decision for your own goals.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
I respectfully disagree that UH is *far* better. It is certainly the best school in Houston (amazing, isn't it, that Houston alone has three law schools?), but outside of Houston I suspect most people don't have a strong opinion about its superiority over Tech.
I'd still go to UH though, if only to avoid spending 3 years in Lubbock.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

USAFVETERAN

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »
Diet-
I must also respectfully disagree with your assessment of the UofH reputation.  I do take it that you are a Texas resident, therefore you must know that UofH has a reach much further in Texas than Tech.  As a matter of fact the following link clears makes the case.
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4016101.0.html

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »
I respectfully disagree that UH is *far* better. It is certainly the best school in Houston (amazing, isn't it, that Houston alone has three law schools?), but outside of Houston I suspect most people don't have a strong opinion about its superiority over Tech.
I'd still go to UH though, if only to avoid spending 3 years in Lubbock.

I think the difference in biglaw placement reflects on job opportunities overall.  Tech has about 3-4% of its class in NLJ 250 firms while Houston has about 15%.  http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf.  IMO, the difference probably does not justify going to Houston at full cost over Tech on scholarship, especially if the applicant is flexible about where they end up (Lubbock/Dallas vs. Houston) and does not have a strong leaning toward biglaw.  But I still maintain that, all else being equal (neutral location preference, neutral job type preference, cost, etc.), UH is a far better choice.  I asked several questions in the previous post because the answers will help determine which school is far better for this particular applicant.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »
Diet-
I must also respectfully disagree with your assessment of the UofH reputation.  I do take it that you are a Texas resident, therefore you must know that UofH has a reach much further in Texas than Tech.  As a matter of fact the following link clears makes the case.
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4016101.0.html

Houston also graduates about 100 more students per year than Tech and they're in a big city. I wouldn't read too deep into them putting 35 more people into big law.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

mccarthy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »
Bump. I too am trying to decide between these two schools. Or rather, I am applying to both and am not sure what I will do if I get accepted at both.