Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Senate Floor: Debate the Ban Process Here  (Read 43928 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Senate Floor: Debate the Ban Process Here
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
You couldn't handle that.  Your point was that I lacked the social "standing" to disagree with you openly on this forum.  You called in your attack dogs like Irrx, Thisiswrong and sundry others who then spent hours and pages attacking me and my character.  Re-read the thread, most of it is still there except for Irrx's posts. You engaged in the insults yourself as well, but you were mostly content to have your cohort do the work.  Behind the scenes, you were busy complaining about other posters who also disagreed with you about related issues.  Those complaints resulted in at least one of the posters with whom you disagreed being permenantly banned from the site.

None of these things are true except (a) that most of the thread is still there except for IrrX's posts and (as modified) (b) that I complained (to my friends) three or so times about some of the things people were saying in that thread.  Absolutely nothing I said to my friends about how aggravating that thread became resulted in PILOFOLO's being banned.  Indeed, I doubt Sands has ever read a single post of mine in the SFLSD thread.  I have already shared the content of my complaint to Sands that did reference PILOFOLO, which was focused on different circumstances, a different thread and a different set of posters.

In any case, as I said earlier, I do not wish to argue with you about this any further, as it is neither productive nor relevant.  I just want to make it clear that I (still) reject your version of events, and I am certain that any disinterested person who wished to go back and read the entire thread would as well.  Please stop accusing me of these things, as you said you would several days ago now.

3) Again, I understand that we have fundamentally different ideas concerning what these chat rooms should be about.  You think they should be largely social networking sites and that those who make the most use of them as such should be able to censor, exclude and harass those with whom they disagree.  I favor open fora where all can express their viewpoints and that constructive disagreement/discussion can lead to mutual understanding and perspective broadening.  We are simply fundamentally different people with fundamentally different perspectives.

I do not support censorship, exclusion, or harassment.  If you read my posts in this thread and elsewhere, for instance, you will see that I have repeatedly argued (e.g., here) that posters should be banned for only a narrow range of offenses and they should be given warnings before being banned or before any other action is taken on their accounts.  I also asked you specifically what you think the moderators and others should do to make people feel more welcome and to deal with situations where posters (rightfully and wrongfully) feel victimized, and I think this is an appropriate thread for you to share any ideas you have about this.

Just for the record, I never said (and do not think) that this forum should be used largely as a social networking site.  I just don't see a major problem with some posters using it as such and (going along with my liberal view of how the board should be moderated) I don't think we should delineate good and bad uses in the way you imply.  Let's just let people post where and how they want to post unless they violate the community standards that Sands laid out earlier in this thread. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2009, 10:23:36 PM »
Look, I understand the current tactic is to keep blathering on as if that's somehow going to change the fact that you 1) actively stifle debate and diversity of perspective on this site 2) routinely have other posters banned.

You can go on as much as you like, but you can't hide these these things.  I called you out on them and, until you have me banned, you're just going to have to live with the fact that I did exactly that. 

Now please quit harassing me.  I asked you to leave me alone over five times now.  Please honor my request, go about your own business and leave me alone.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2009, 10:28:06 PM »
Look, I understand the current tactic is to keep blathering on as if that's somehow going to change the fact that you 1) actively stifle debate and diversity of perspective on this site 2) routinely have other posters banned.

You can go on as much as you like, but you can't hide these these things.  I called you out on them and, until you have me banned, you're just going to have to live with the fact that I did exactly that. 

Now please quit harassing me.  I asked you to leave me alone over five times now.  Please honor my request, go about your own business and leave me alone.

I am not harassing you by responding to your posts.  Please stop lying about me.  I do not actively stifle debate by participating in debates with people with whom I disagree.  I have also never suggested that a poster should be banned, and I do not have the power to ban posters myself.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
You may keep on lying about your own behavior, if you like.  Just please stop harassing me.  Leave me alone and go about your business.  Stop harassing me. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2009, 10:51:04 PM »
I am not harassing you by merely responding to your baseless accusations, and I will continue to do so as long as you continue to make them.

ISUCKATTHIS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2009, 10:54:13 PM »
Well, ok.  You can harass me all you want... I can't stop you.  I won't even report you. 

However, you can't change the truth.  You still have to live with it.  Good luck.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
julie would like know exactly who right here.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2009, 06:40:25 PM »
but only "insiders" get vote?

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2009, 01:52:29 AM »
You get as many votes as your post count.  I think that's fair to everyone within the clique.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2009, 02:22:25 AM »
I am confident that any rational observer who took the time to review our exchanges would realize that I haven't done anything wrong, even if I may be irritatingly self-serious or sanctimonious sometimes.  This whole thing has been a needless distraction from a thread that once was and could be very productive.  I hope we can get back on track.