Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ranking California Law Schools  (Read 2803 times)

roadkilllaw

• View Profile
Ranking California Law Schools
« on: June 03, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »
Hey guys,

Can someone help me by telling me which schools in Cali have the best rep? I've been looking into it and am getting conflicting ranks :( Thanks in advance!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking California Law Schools
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
Stanford
-
Boalt
-
-
UCLA
USC
-
-
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UC Irvine
-
-
Pepperdine
USD
Loyola
-
Santa Clara
USF
-
Others

Note: Lines represent a significant gap.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:53:53 AM »
Stanford
-
Boalt
-
-
UCLA
USC
-
-
UC Davis
UC Hastings
UC Irvine
-
-
Pepperdine
USD
Loyola
-
Santa Clara
USF
-
Others

Note: Lines represent a significant gap.

Looks pretty good to me, though I think you could divide the bottom up more than that.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

gzl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 04:27:08 AM »
The list seems pretty accurate, but also highlights the weakness of rankings.  Santa Clara is a good example.  Outside of the Bay Area, a JD from there doesn't mean much.  Within the Bay Area though, it's a different story.  Santa Clara alum are close-knit and look out for each other, a lingering affect of its jesuit roots.  The connections made there often get students into positions they have no "right" being in, if you're just looking at the school's ranking... positions a Stanford grad would be more than happy to have.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 01:39:13 PM »
That's an interesting placement for Irvine, which hasn't graduated anyone yet.  I have no doubt it will end up that way, but putting a brand new school of Pepperdine and Loyola is a little bold.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 01:26:41 AM »
That's an interesting placement for Irvine, which hasn't graduated anyone yet.  I have no doubt it will end up that way, but putting a brand new school [above] Pepperdine and Loyola is a little bold.

+1.  I'm not saying I disagree with the strike-out, but I think it's just too early to tell.

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:27:14 AM »
how do you figure, for UC-Irvine?

The rest is correct according to US news rankings, at least.

of course if you go by market or specialties it can mix up a bit more.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:14:08 AM »
how do you figure, for UC-Irvine?

3.65/167 = entering class medians at UCI.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:59:42 PM »
Hey guys,

Can someone help me by telling me which schools in Cali have the best rep? I've been looking into it and am getting conflicting ranks :( Thanks in advance!

It depends.  Are you planning to stay in California or go outside the state for employment?  Would you prefer to settle in Northern or Southern California?  The top 4 of botbot's list are highly credited no matter where you intend to practice.  The others shuffle up a bit depending on your preferences.  For example, I wouldn't recommend going to Santa Clara or USF over Southwestern if you plan to stay in LA.  Similarly, I wouldn't pick Pepperdine, USD, or Loyola over Santa Clara or USF or even McGeorge if you intend to stay in the Bay Area.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »
CA is one of the few states that still has local only (non-aba) approved law schools. In fact they are the only one with the option to do it online or by mail too. I picked an ABA approved one, but if you plan to only practice in state you may want to consider it to save money. They have a part of this forum dedicated to "distance learning law schools" if you want to find out more.
'
Don't fall for the Novus crap though. They are illegal not reconised to sit any bar and should be shut down.