Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian Pursuing a Clerkship Position in the United States  (Read 2352 times)

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

Canadians, as nationals of a country allied with the US in a defense effort, can be hired and paid with federally appropriated funds and thereby qualify for positions in the judiciary.  However, does anyone realistically know of any non-citizens who have succesfully received a decent clerkship position in the United States?  As much as the idea of being a trailblazer appeals to me, I'm hesitant to sink a ton of time into this process if my chances are next to nill by virtue of my citizenship alone.

Thanks!

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Pursuing a Clerkship Position in the United States
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:19:33 PM »
Hey guys,

Canadians, as nationals of a country allied with the US in a defense effort, can be hired and paid with federally appropriated funds and thereby qualify for positions in the judiciary.  However, does anyone realistically know of any non-citizens who have succesfully received a decent clerkship position in the United States?  As much as the idea of being a trailblazer appeals to me, I'm hesitant to sink a ton of time into this process if my chances are next to nill by virtue of my citizenship alone.

Thanks!

This is entirely anecdotal, but I met a 3L JD/MA student this year in one of my graduate courses who secured a position in the state of New York.

I didn't ask for the specifics of her clerkship, nor did she volunteer them, so take this with a grain of salt.

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:26:51 PM »
Thanks Thales.  You're the most ridiculously knowledgeable 0L in history.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
Thanks Thales.  You're the most ridiculously knowledgeable 0L in history.

Talking out of one's ass constitutes knowledge these days? :P

[ya know I'm just Joshin' you...Thales]
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 01:48:51 PM »
Aw.

You guys make me feel all spikey and rageful inside.