Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will a single bad grade totally screw me?  (Read 3046 times)

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Will a single bad grade totally screw me?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »
Which school are you looking at in particular?
I'd prefer not to say just yet.  But I will say it is a public school ranked between 25 and 50.

CU?
well, if you're gonna go ahead and out me like that... ;)  i think u already knew i went there though.

I don't know what school you go to, but generally four credits of bad grades will NOT put you in the "top 2-3 percent."

Also, the writing grade is hardly "soft" and is, to many minds, one of the more important 1L grades.  It's what you do as a lawyer.
i have to second this.  for what it's worth, i had an appointment with a CU admissions person over my winter break because i knew i would be applying there for transfer.  the person told me what they put emphasis on and what not, and they said the admissions board looks heavily at your legal writing grade.  i am very happy my A this semester was in legal writing.

You should be fine at CU then, as long as your B+ overall GPA thy will take you if they have room (which is the biggest problem at CU they are so small). If not DU is a fine school if you want to stay in CO

i have nothing against DU at all.  i would simply prefer CU because i love the school so much (as i said, it IS my alma mater), i love boulder, and i am a CO resident so tuition would be about $13k cheaper a year.  the money is the biggest factor.  couple that with the ranking and it's a no-brainer of where i'd prefer to go.  but it is nice to have DU as a fall back since i know CO is where i want to live.  i've lived in CO my entire life and leaving was far from pleasant.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
Is it weird that I think I know exactly who you are?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 07:48:19 PM »
Which school are you looking at in particular?
I'd prefer not to say just yet.  But I will say it is a public school ranked between 25 and 50.

CU?
well, if you're gonna go ahead and out me like that... ;)  i think u already knew i went there though.

I don't know what school you go to, but generally four credits of bad grades will NOT put you in the "top 2-3 percent."

Also, the writing grade is hardly "soft" and is, to many minds, one of the more important 1L grades.  It's what you do as a lawyer.
i have to second this.  for what it's worth, i had an appointment with a CU admissions person over my winter break because i knew i would be applying there for transfer.  the person told me what they put emphasis on and what not, and they said the admissions board looks heavily at your legal writing grade.  i am very happy my A this semester was in legal writing.

You should be fine at CU then, as long as your B+ overall GPA thy will take you if they have room (which is the biggest problem at CU they are so small). If not DU is a fine school if you want to stay in CO

i have nothing against DU at all.  i would simply prefer CU because i love the school so much (as i said, it IS my alma mater), i love boulder, and i am a CO resident so tuition would be about $13k cheaper a year.  the money is the biggest factor.  couple that with the ranking and it's a no-brainer of where i'd prefer to go.  but it is nice to have DU as a fall back since i know CO is where i want to live.  i've lived in CO my entire life and leaving was far from pleasant.

The ranking really does not matter in Denver, not sure about the rest of CO, but the cost is a big issue
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 11:03:42 PM »
Is it weird that I think I know exactly who you are?
maybe, although i doubt it.  the only CU law student i know just graduated.  PM me if you think u know me, that would be funny

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 11:09:36 PM »
and matthies, i agree ranking doesn't really matter, i got over ranking pretty quickly once school started.  i'm merely pointing out that if i had the choice between 2 schools, and one of them is not only $13k cheaper but also is ranked higher, that's a win-win

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »
CU is definitely the choice if you get into both. It is leaps and bounds above DU, even in denver (mostly because boulder right there as well). I was, however, told that they tend to take ugpa and lsat into account and not just ls performance. That said, the app fee is not ridiculous and you should def apply and I doubt 1 C would torpedo you.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »
CU is definitely the choice if you get into both. It is leaps and bounds above DU, even in denver (mostly because boulder right there as well). I was, however, told that they tend to take ugpa and lsat into account and not just ls performance. That said, the app fee is not ridiculous and you should def apply and I doubt 1 C would torpedo you.

This is wrong. Denver is dominated by DU because 1 Ė DU churns out 4x as many grads as CU a year and most stay in Denver, 2- DU is in town so many 3Lís get PT jobs that turn into fulltime employment, 3- DU has a part-time evening program allowing even more people to get the JD and work in the legal community during the day. I just graduated from DU have spent the last 4 years clerking in Denver and know more lawyers and judges than I do law students. DU dominates Denver plain and simple. Not to say CU is not a great school, it is, but there are just so many more DU grads out there in Denver, you canít throw a rock without hitting 3 of them. CU is just too small compared to DU to have that kind of impact in the city. DU graduates about 100 in Feb and about 400 in May, CU graduates what, maybe 100 in May? DU has been churing out 500 grads a year for a long time and most stay in Denver. There are DU grads everywhere so the alumnia network is huge. Outside of Denver the nod goes to CU, but DU has Denver tied up trust me and I'm saying that not as a grad but as someone who active in the legal community here, DU's presence is everywhere.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.