Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A question (John Marshall LS) 149/3.18  (Read 861 times)

applicantcycle10

• View Profile
A question (John Marshall LS) 149/3.18
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
So I always wanted to go to Law School, but for number of reasons (marriage, kid, other career, "lack of language skills" as I was once told) I though that it just won't work out ever. Comes 2009 and my usual nay sayers suddenly decided to support me and I enrolled into Kaplan, and aiming for June 09 (ouch, in 1 week) test.
Now, I am not a genious at all, and honestly I though I could have done much better....
 My UGPA (not cumulative, just from the last univ.) is 3.18, from LUC, and I was on the Dean's List once.
My LSAT... sad story. I score on practice tests anywhere from 144 to 152. What kills me that every time I score differently for a different reason, whethere it's the games that suck or the LR. I can not absolutely trace the pattern or my results, so what I will score on THE DAY is mistery, but I predict no higher than 152.
 So I am NOT aiming for any "good" schools, and unfortunately I can not allpy out of state, plus I have to go part time.
 Do I stand ANY chances of getting into John Marshall LS? Ofcourse it would be dream come true to get into Loyola Law school, I just loved it there undergrad, but I am not even sure if I will apply with my terrible scores.
 Thanks!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: A question (John Marshall LS)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
A 152 LSAT, 3.18 UGPA would probably get you into John Marshall - Chicago.  If your cumulative UGPA is substantially lower, you are going to need to compensate with a higher LSAT score.  Spend every spare minute prepping for the LSAT.  Good luck.

applicantcycle10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
I think my cumulative GPA may even be higher, since I had definitely over 3.5 at the college before LUC and 4.0 over a summer course in another small college. I am just not sure how it's all calculated.

applicantcycle10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
Ok, I got 149 :(
 GPA is not calculated yet, but I am confident it will be more than 3.18, since I had way over 3.5 at my other college (just don't remember anymore exactly what, since it was so long ago)
Plus I have 6 years of corporate (Fortune 500 company) experience as a BA, and interesting ethnic (though not URM) background.
I was also given a suggestion to try Vlparaiso univ. if I get a score around 149. That would be a big problem to drive if JMLS didn't work out. Ouch.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »
Ok, I got 149 :(
 GPA is not calculated yet, but I am confident it will be more than 3.18, since I had way over 3.5 at my other college (just don't remember anymore exactly what, since it was so long ago)
Plus I have 6 years of corporate (Fortune 500 company) experience as a BA, and interesting ethnic (though not URM) background.
I was also given a suggestion to try Vlparaiso univ. if I get a score around 149. That would be a big problem to drive if JMLS didn't work out. Ouch.

Not to be a male private part here, but I'd be pretty worried about the possibility of being accepted, attending a year, and then realizing I really didn't have the mental acumen to cut it and being stuck with a $25,000 bill.  Even worse than it being a personal decision, being told by JMLS that you will not be returning the following year (they have a pretty high 1l drop rate if I recall), and still being stuck with the bill.

Still even worse than that, you go to JMLS and make it through with a 2.25 GPA and graduate in the top 80% of your class, manage to pass the bar on your second or third try, and the best job you can get is for $40-50,000 a year when you have $100,000 in law school debt.

"A man's got to know his limitations." - 'Dirty' Harry Callahan

applicantcycle10

• View Profile
Re: A question (John Marshall LS) 149/3.18
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »
If I get in - that's the risk I am willing to take  ;)
It's much worse to find yourself at 70yo sitting somewhere on the bench feeding pigeons, and wondering "what would have been", than ending up wiht $25K bill.