Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn(31k) vs StJohns(25k) vs Hofstra(full)  (Read 1311 times)

yoling

• View Profile
    • Email
Brooklyn(31k) vs StJohns(25k) vs Hofstra(full)
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
I have already enrolled in Hofsta but I just got an unexpected surprise from the brooklyn wait list - 31000! I only have a few days to accept or decline the offer from Brooklyn. Oh yeah, and I originally chose the free ride at Hofstra over the 25K @ St. J (and made a nice deposit)
Any insight?

yoling

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brooklyn(31k) vs StJohns(25k) vs Hofstra(full)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
Hmmm...I seem to have left out some details.
I live close to Hofstra, and know a few ppl that have been there recently, definitely a plus.  However, Hofstra Scholarships are automatically lost if you are below a 3.25 (approximately top 30%)
I also know quite a few ppl from St. Johns, and top 50% keeps the scholarship).
I don't know that much about Brooklyn, except that it outranks St. J's by 25 places, but it will be somewhat more difficult to travel there(like a 55 min commute). Broolyn also has a pretty strong safety net in terms of scholarship retention, where top 40% keeps entire scholarship and top 65% keeps at least 50%.
Are the differences in rankings between these schools significant?
Is Brooklyn really as superior to the other 2 schools as the rankings suggest?
Anyone know about the competitive atmosphere in Brooklyn? How does it compare to the other two?
Thanks

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:12:42 PM »
Brooklyn is probably the correct choice unless you can't deal with the commute.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
So you have a better than 2/3rds chance of losing the scholly at Hofstra and yet you're questioning whether you should accept the offer from BLS, a better schooly with more generous scholly retention requirements? Of the 3 you've been accepted to, the order is pretty clearly BLS/SJU/Hofstra... with Hofstra being pretty much limited to work on Long Island. You could probably get SJU to match or even beat the scholly offer from BLS, but you're looking at top 1/2 to maintain it. Still, that's better than the top 1/3rd that Hofstra requires. 
BLS places significantly better than Hofstra unless you're only looking at working on Long Island. As for Hofstra, the only Hofstra students I know are the ones that transfered to SJU after their first year. Perhaps if you approach the Hofstra admission office with your other scholly offers they can change the conditions to keep it from a 3.25 GPA to something like 'good standing' (which @ SJU is merely a 2.00... I presume that it's similar at Hofstra)
Good luck...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

yoling

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 06:04:44 AM »
How much of an advantage is it to know current and recent students at the school you are attending? Were I to attend Hofstra or Stj, numerous ppl have offered me help(class notes, knowing professors, etc.) wheras I do not know anyone in BLS. Should this be a major consideration?

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »
First question, is what do you want to do after you graduate. Biglaw? Public Interest?
Second question, where do you want to work?
Third question, are you more interested in working your hardest or doing enough to get by and therefore keep your scholarship.

While Brooklyn does place better in biglaw than Hofstra, Hofstra does place in big law. Also, if you are interested in doing other things, you can have more options without having the extra debt to weigh you down.
As for having people you know at the school, I'm sure it is beneficial, but it is not essential to doing well. Although, I would recommend trying to make friends with a 2L that can help you. I had a few friends that I found went to the same undergrad as me and they were very helpful, including lending me supplements so i didn't have to spend the extra money on them.

Whatever choice you make, make sure you accept it without any regrets and work your hardest.

For full disclosure, I will be a 2L at Hofstra in the fall

yoling

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
I am not sure if I would want a job at BigLaw if it were available to me, but my main concern is to keep my options open, so that whatever I decide to do, I will not have forfeited an opportunity that I would have  otherwise beeninterested in.  It is not likely that I will go into public interest, and I think that my realistic goal is to have a good chance of landing at least a job at a mid-size firm around the city. As for putting in the work, I am fairly confident that I would do well at either school, but I have heard from current 1Ls and 2Ls that sometimes there are circumstances beyond your control that make significant GPA differences. 

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
On that note, I'd recommend staying at Hofstra. You will have less debt and not have to spend the time commuting (not sure if you are living at home or if you have your own place out here). I think you will have the same opportunities available if you do well at either school. If you have any questions, feel free to ask

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »
On that note, I'd recommend staying at Hofstra. You will have less debt and not have to spend the time commuting (not sure if you are living at home or if you have your own place out here). I think you will have the same opportunities available if you do well at either school. If you have any questions, feel free to ask

You seem to be ignoring the Hofstra scholarship requirements.

bryan9584

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »
I wasn't ignoring, I just didn't address that part. If a student works hard, studies, and participates in class, its very hard not to do well. It's only when one doesn't try his hardest, and then you only have yourself to blame. I'm sure there are the slim exceptions, but given the 3.0-3.2 curve at Hofstra, it should not be too difficult to stay above average. Also, scholarships are evaluated yearly, so if you mess up in a class first semester, you can bring up your gpa second semester. And if anything, making sure you keep your scholarship will motivate you.