Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just an observation  (Read 617 times)

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
Just an observation
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:03:56 AM »
I understand this whole law profession is very hierarchical. The name of your school is important in finding employment.  However after one year of law school at a not so top school, one thing I realize is how superficial this hierarchy is. The quality of the students in my school is excellent (regardless of the law school entrance numbers).  There are people who didn't do well either on the LSAT or in undergrad but they can do very well in law school. The B curve can be annoying because you can get one question wrong on the test and you still end up with a B.  I was impressed with my classmates for a long time. There are a large number of engineering / physical /life science students in my school, PhDs, Masters and those with tons of work experiences who have had USPTO patents.  For a tier 3 school, the Class of 2011 is extremely strong. I don't think there is one person who is unconscious or drunk at any point.  I think the class is just as strong as any other at other law schools.   

It's just sad reality that a group of smart people such as my class is considered to be on the lower rung of the law hierarchy.  It really bothers me to read about people who desperately wanna transfer from UPenn to Harvard.  I understand this hierarchy really puts pressure on people.  But at the end of the day, what does this really mean? There are people in my school who are very bright.  This whole tier thing just doesn't make sense.

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
Re: Just an observation
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:19:02 AM »
I agree.  It doesn't make sense and it's not fair.

If it makes you feel better, it probably all happened mostly by accident.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:41:01 AM »
I agree in the sense that people act like there is some massive difference in student quality (some people even think that T14 students are somehow massively different than people who go to GW, BU, etc..).  I probably have one of the top LSAT's at my school and when I talk to people that I know scored probably 10 or more points lower than me I don't feel intellectually superior.  On the other hand, I'm absolutely positive that higher ranked schools DO have better student bodies.  I just don't think the gap is as big as people make it out to be.  This is yet another reason not to attend a very low ranked school because it will still be hard to pull good grades.

Advocate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
I agree that it is artificial, somewhat unfair, and not truly indicative of a person's potential.  However, I guess there has to be some sort of a system.  At least there is due process in the sense that everyone has to take the same LSAT, etc. The main criticism I have of the system is that (like much else in our society), it tends to favor persons coming from a wealthier background. That problem is forgivable and unavoidable.  Of course, someone whose parents are professionals will be pushed, given good tutors, expensive SAT/LSAT prep, expensive private schools/universities (rather than public schools and state colleges). The system doesn't so much reward a wealthy background as it rewards being precocious -- and, of course, wealthier people are more likely to be precocious for the reasons stated above.  Nonetheless, a poor bloke who is razor sharp can still ace the LSAT and go to Yale. No system is perfect, but ours is transparent and about as fair as it could be under the circumstances of modern America. : )

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »
I agree.  It doesn't make sense and it's not fair.

If it makes you feel better, it probably all happened mostly by accident.

I hate to hijack a thread, but I didn't realize that you still post here!  What's up?