Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Two Q's for BarBri alums: What and When  (Read 5375 times)

GuysRea

• View Profile
Two Q's for BarBri alums: What and When
« on: May 29, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »
I am wrapping up the second week of my BarBri class. Naturally, I am already getting worried about the sheer volume of information I need to learn, memorize, and apply before the end of July. Two questions for alums:

1) What should we be studying to learn the law? I get the sense that the handout/outline/notes we complete during the lecture are our primary study materials. Is this correct? Should the conviser and main outlines only be used in circumstances where we need more information about a topic? How much did the sample MBE/essay questions help you learn the law?

2) When should we be studying the law? BarBri provided us with a paced study schedule, but the only time it looks like we have a chance to begin memorizing the law is on the weekends. We are told to review the material after the lecture. Does this mean "begin memorizing immediately?" When did you take the time to memorize concepts?

ksully

• View Profile
Re: Two Q's for BarBri alums: What and When
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
From personal experience...

I only used the handouts/notes, I don't think I ever cracked the convisor, maybe looked at the outline books once or twice. The MBE/practice essays were very helpful for learning the law when going over the answers. Outside of the lectures, I spent about 65% of my time doing MBEs, 30% on the essays and 5% revising and reading my notes. I spent very little time simply trying to memorize the outlines/handouts/notes. The time I did spend focusing heavily on reviewing my outlines was the couple of days before the actual essays exams.

You memorize the law during the course of doing the MBE questions and going over the answers. After doing so many, you can't help but memorize the law. Do get to hung up or worried about when you are going to work on memorization. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »
1.  I used primarily the handout book we filled in during lecture and I made my own flash cards.  I went to the conviser when I needed something filled in.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I cracked the big outlines.  Doing the questions, both MBE and essay will definitely help you learn the law.  But a word of advice - do NOT compare your answers to Bar/Bri's "sample answers".  They try to tell you that their answers are "real" but it's complete BS.  Definitely read their answers - it's a good review of the law.  But when it comes time to gauge  how your answers are coming out, see if your state has real past answers on the bar website or something similar.

2.  Don't freak about the Bar/Bri schedule.  It's next to impossible to stick to it.  During the time we had lecture, I went to lecture, made all my index cards from the day's handouts.  I would then do some of the MBE sets.  It was pretty much 9-5.  Then, after our last class, I then had the entire month of July to do nothing but write essays, do MBE questions, and go through my index cards.

Ultimately, don't forget what worked for you in law school.  Use the study methods that are proven to work for you.

GuysRea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:28:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I heard a lot of people talk about how crazy things got after July 4th. I don't know if that was because they didn't do much before that date or because things got more hectic as the exam got closer.

Did you go "slow and steady" the entire time, or did you have to ramp things up after July 4th?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I heard a lot of people talk about how crazy things got after July 4th. I don't know if that was because they didn't do much before that date or because things got more hectic as the exam got closer.

Did you go "slow and steady" the entire time, or did you have to ramp things up after July 4th?

I've heard this too. I'm trying to keep a steady pace and stay with the subjects we are covering. Pretty much 8-4 everyday, a little less on weekends. I don't see how I could do MORE after July 4th, I don't want to burn out, I can sta at this pace fine if it will work.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

GuysRea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 06:19:41 PM »
I've heard this too. I'm trying to keep a steady pace and stay with the subjects we are covering. Pretty much 8-4 everyday, a little less on weekends. I don't see how I could do MORE after July 4th, I don't want to burn out, I can sta at this pace fine if it will work.

I agree. It seems the only alternative to keeping a steady pace is burnout because there is just so much information to digest in such a limited amount of time.

We all knew this summer was going to stink. I don't see the point of delaying the inevitable (i.e., studying pretty much every day). It's almost like 1L all over again. In 1L, you had to learn to pay attention in Week 2 to build toward your final exam that was still three months away. Here, you have to study because you keep getting more and more subjects piled onto your plate every day. It seems like it would be nearly impossible to catch up if you let yourself fall far behind.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:12:39 PM »
Jacy, and other past bar takers

- 9 to 5? that seems like too short of time to spend studying because Barbri suggests studying 8 hours + lectures, and PMBR gave us a schedule to study until 10 p.m. Did you alter this, and did it work?

- How many essays should you do per subject during review? As many as assigned? or more?

Right now I am doing morning class then from 1-5 MBE, then Essays, and then writing flashcards from notes if until 11 p.m. Is this too much? It is the suggested schedule but seems like a good way to burn out.

I am studying for the CA exam, if anyone would like to send me some tips on schedules etc.  I would REALLY appreciate it. Oh and we only have like 10 days between Barbri ending and the bar. BARF.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:52:16 AM »
Ok, Iím not finding barbar that helpful, I mean common fill in the  blanks lecture? I feel like I could be far more productive studying on my own that just sitting there writing in the left out words. Its also seems way to simplistic/ Maybe Iím over thinking this but right now class time seems to be a waste of time for me (granted I was never an auditory learner to start with I prefer to read than listen).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:40:45 PM »
Jacy, and other past bar takers

- 9 to 5? that seems like too short of time to spend studying because Barbri suggests studying 8 hours + lectures, and PMBR gave us a schedule to study until 10 p.m. Did you alter this, and did it work?

- How many essays should you do per subject during review? As many as assigned? or more?

Right now I am doing morning class then from 1-5 MBE, then Essays, and then writing flashcards from notes if until 11 p.m. Is this too much? It is the suggested schedule but seems like a good way to burn out.

I am studying for the CA exam, if anyone would like to send me some tips on schedules etc.  I would REALLY appreciate it. Oh and we only have like 10 days between Barbri ending and the bar. BARF.

Bar Bri alum and CA bar passer '06.  My schedule roughly mirrored yours.  I wasn't worried about burning out in two months, I was worried only about PASSING.  Three years law school v. two months bar prep? Big deal. The time goes by quickly and you'll be happy come the week of the exam that you invested it.  Keep up the suggested pace.  The only "shortcut" I took in the interest of saving time was outlining essays rather than writing them out.  My #1 tip would be to not overlook the performance exams.  Big points, but often given short shrift.  Practice, practice, practice.  The Bar Bri approach worked for me. Good luck.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:15:05 PM »
I didn't put nearly that amount of time in, but I was taking the GA bar, which is not nearly as rigorous as NY or CA.  If I had taken one of the more difficult bar exams, I'd likely would have been on a schedule similar to yours.