Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Baltimore?  (Read 4118 times)

boogiedownbronx

• View Profile
University of Baltimore?
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:08:32 PM »
I'm considering attending University of Baltimore School of Law, and I have heard nothing but good things about the school.  Is there anything to be concerned about?  I'm curious to know what UBalt's reputation outside of the DC/Baltimore Metro Area?

spizzle5

• View Profile
Re: University of Baltimore?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 02:24:28 PM »
I have a lot of friends who graduated from UB Law who have done very well for themselves and a couple of friends who are there now. UB gets a lot of flack for being Tier3 (just upgraded from tier4) but its a great regional law school. i.e. you will get a good education, have some wonderful professors, and have great networking opportunities in the Baltimore area.

Where do you live now and where do you want to practice? If you're asking about its national reputation, I'm assuming that the Baltimore area isnt your first choice. ?

S

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »
I know a few UB grads, but I don't attend the school. UB has a decent rep in Maryland but that rep doesn't carry far. In DC, the school carries no weight whatsoever. The people I know who've gone there seem to like the school and the fact that a lot of the profs are practitioners. Grading will harsh, just like any T2/3/4 school.

If you are an MD resident and plan on practicing in a small law office somewhere in MD, UB is fine for that.

If you are going there and paying out of state tuition, I'd seriously reconsider. I also wouldn't go there if you plan on practicing outside of MD.

Lastly, I would be somewhat concerned about job opportunities because of the school's size. I don't know if you've been to Baltimore, but it isn't exactly a thriving city. Crime is high and the city is somewhat run down. With the amount of students graduating from UB and UMD each year, I doubt there are enough good legal jobs for everyone. I'd imagine a lot of people there have to resort to law clerk/paralegal jobs or non-legal jobs.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »
Baltimore's biggest problem is the city, which is kind of a *&^% hole. Their 1L attrition leaves something to be desired as well, but that's to be expected given their admits' numbers.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »
School administrations set the grading curves, which effectively sets the attrition rates. It has nothing to necessarily do with the students' "numbers" per se. The administration decides how many students they want to flunk out, and they set the curve and their academic policies to accomplish that goal. This is why some other schools with very similar admit numbers to UB will have higher or lower attrition rates.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »
School administrations set the grading curves, which effectively sets the attrition rates. It has nothing to necessarily do with the students' "numbers" per se. The administration decides how many students they want to flunk out, and they set the curve and their academic policies to accomplish that goal. This is why some other schools with very similar admit numbers to UB will have higher or lower attrition rates.

Agree that attrition probably has little to do with the admits' numbers per se, but schools that have admit numbers around Baltimore's usually have attrition rates similar to Baltimore's.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:07:17 PM »
Baltimore's biggest problem is the city, which is kind of a poo hole. Their 1L attrition leaves something to be desired as well, but that's to be expected given their admits' numbers.

What are their numbers?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:49:44 PM »
Baltimore's biggest problem is the city, which is kind of a poo hole. Their 1L attrition leaves something to be desired as well, but that's to be expected given their admits' numbers.

What are their numbers?

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA5810.pdf

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:34:55 PM »

What are their numbers?

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA5810.pdf

Its full time average (median) student has a 155 and 3.34.  It's not bad at all. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »

What are their numbers?

Its full time average (median) student has a 155 and 3.34.  It's not bad at all. 

Median's not bad (well, 3.34 isn't that hot), but the 25% isn't too hot and the pt program has kind of suck numbers.