Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American WCL vs. STCL  (Read 798 times)

rachel.almaraz

• View Profile
    • Email
American WCL vs. STCL
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
After interning on Capitol Hill for a semester, I have been putting off making a final decision on where to attend in the fall for as long as possible. Unfortunately, my time is running out...tuition deposits are right around the corner.

My first choice, SMU, has placed me on their wait list for the fall and until I hear back from them...I must go on as if I will not be given a seat in the fall class. My choices now are between American Washington College of Law and South Texas College of Law.

There are many pros and cons to both schools, canceling each other out basically. I'm hoping that some outside and objective advice might help make my decision that much easier. Thanks!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: American WCL vs. STCL
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:51:22 AM »
American without question.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »
What are your numbers? If you were waitlisted at SMU, you should have been able to get in somewhere in between SMU and STCL. Tech comes to mind.

OasisFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »
I'm gonna have to concur, American all the way.  STCL is not even the best school in it's own city, where you also have to compete with UT, UH, SMU, Baylor grads.

At least with American you may be able to find employment with the name, even though it is not necessarily the strongest school in the DC area, you're better off going there.

rachel.almaraz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:32:59 PM »
151/3.61

I have been accepted to Tech but decided it wasn't the right fit for me. I'm on the waitlist for U of H along with SMU, which is my first choice. I've heard good things about STCL but American, of course, has the more recognizable name which comes with a better reputation. Just not sure it's worth the move and the $$.

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 03:40:32 PM »
If you have to choose between the two, it is obvious that American will give you better options.

That said, STCL isn't the WORST school in Texas if you really feel the need to stay.I have known a few people that have done well out of STCL (I actually know one very successful lawyer that went there).

My advice is to wait out the WLs and if you don't get in, go to American if you decide you're willing to move. If you decide it's not worth the move or the money, wait a year, retake the LSAT and try for SMU/UH (maybe even Baylor if you wouldn't hate Waco). STCL isn't a death sentence, but it's not an ideal choice either.