Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need your advice ASAP - please help !!  (Read 957 times)

CareerChange

• View Profile
Need your advice ASAP - please help !!
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »
I need thoughts on whether I should go to Syracuse with a tuition scholarship of $26k (total fee $43k) renewable over three years or to Rutgers (Camden) without any money and out of state tuition ($33k/yr). I am a non-traditional international applicant; I have 5 years of work experience in the finance sector, have an MBA (finance) and want to specialize in corporate law/taxation. My goal is to do well in 1L and hopefully be able to move to Columbia/NYU/Fordham/Cornell/UPenn next year. Will it make a difference when transferring if I went to Syracuse or Rutgers, provided I am in top 10% in 1L at both schools? I have to make second deposits soon, and am really in a quandary. I would love to save $16k by going to Syr instead of Rutgers, but I don't want to jeopardize my transfer chances. Any and all thoughts will be much greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much in advance!

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need your advice ASAP - please help !!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Holy hell...why are you even thinking about this?

Law school has 3 rules

1. Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from
2. Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from
3. Don't go to a school you wouldn't be happy graduating from...even if you were in the bottom half of the class.

I realize you're 'smart' etc., but so is everyone else. Don't plan on transferring because it could easily NOT happen and then you will be stuck with a crappy degree.

As a practical matter, Both of these schools are ranked quite low and the difference probably won't matter. You might have a little bit easier time coming from Rutgers, but its probably negligible. I will say that I don't think I could ever justify going to Syracuse...even with a scholarship. You'll probably be stuck in Syracuse. You should just stay in the finance sector. You're MBA will probably be worth more. Either that or retake the LSAT and reapply.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:02:50 PM »
Oh yeah, and I'd like to add that you don't need to repost this same thing in 10 different threads.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:18:59 AM »
Definitely try to save the $16k, that's a lot of money.

gmasonlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:33:50 AM »
If you are asking, "Should I go to a T1 or a T3?" Go to a T1.  (warning: this analysis might be different for a T2)  Plus, coming from a T1 would probably look better for transfer purposes too.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 03:49:04 AM »
If you are asking, "Should I go to a T1 or a T3?" Go to a T1.  (warning: this analysis might be different for a T2)  Plus, coming from a T1 would probably look better for transfer purposes too.

These are both T2/T3 schools.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

CareerChange

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys; Rutgers has been consistently ranked in 70s and a solid T2, not a T3. Syr on the other hand swings between T2 and T3. Thanks anyway all of you, I appreciate this.

ksully

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
Provided you would be happy to either school, I would go to Cuse and save the money. When you factor in the interest you would be saving by not having to finance the difference, the scholarship is even more valuable. Plus, if you don't transfer you will save even more. I don't think there is a huge difference between going to a T2 and T3 from the same relative region.