Law School Discussion

Need advise ASAP - please help !!

Need advise ASAP - please help !!
« on: May 27, 2009, 04:52:06 PM »
I need thoughts on whether I should go to Syracuse with a tuition scholarship of $26k (total fee $43k) renewable over three years or to Rutgers (Camden) without any money and out of state tuition ($33k/yr). I am a non-traditional international applicant; I have 5 years of work experience in the finance sector, have an MBA (finance) and want to specialize in corporate law/taxation. My goal is to do well in 1L and hopefully be able to move to Columbia/NYU/Fordham/Cornell/UPenn next year. Will it make a difference when transferring if I went to Syracuse or Rutgers, provided I am in top 10% in 1L at both schools? I have to make second deposits soon, and am really in a quandary. I would love to save $16k by going to Syr instead of Rutgers, but I don't want to jeopardize my transfer chances. Any and all thoughts will be much greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Need advise ASAP - please help !!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »
Why would you make a career change at a point in time where the legal market is this bad? 


  • ***
  • 93
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: Need advise ASAP - please help !!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:36:41 PM »
Go to the school where you have no problem with graudating from. Its a great goal to try and transfer but in my opinion, making sure you go to a school 1) where you have no problem recieving a degree from should be a priority just in case you are not top 10%. But 2) if you are willing to put all your eggs into one basket and lock in to "I am going to be 10% and transfer" mindset, then go to the one the highest ranked school you got into despite the money. If it was my decision I will definitly go with syracuse but I am not pressed to trasnfer to ivy league schools and the tought of going to a law school at a full price tag (which is ranked only like 20 spots above my scholarship offer school), is not something I will choose. As long as my scholarship option is from a school I do not mind graduating from wrost case scenerio.