Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seattle U ($) vs Gonzaga ($$$)  (Read 1765 times)

JDConfusion

• View Profile
Seattle U ($) vs Gonzaga ($$$)
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
I'm losing my mind trying to make this decision. I've been offered $6k a year at SU, and $15.5k a year at Gonzaga. Both are contingent on grades. SU is higher ranked, tied for 77, and Gonzaga is tied for 100. Gonzaga also is starting a new curriculum this year that seems pretty interesting. I would like to live in the Seattle area, but I don't really see myself living there for a really long time. Gonzaga is in Spokane, WA, which is a great place to raise a family and gets more sunshine than Seattle. Am I selling myself short if I take the $ and go to a lesser school in a smaller market? I'm leaning toward Gonzaga, but I don't want to regret it. I visited SU and it was pretty awesome. I just worry about raising a family in the area, and having less debt is sweet. Commuting to Issaquah or some other suburb can be a female dog. Advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

jcvidal

• It could always be worse
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seattle U ($) vs Gonzaga ($$$)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
KIM that SeattleU has increasingly been a top 100 school (77) and has a strong reputation in the PacNW, while Gonzage as increasingly been a tier 3 school, and just barely cracked the top 100 this year (100).  I know many students who transferred from Gonzage to SU for this sheer fact alone. As far as raising a family in Seattle.  Perhaps, you can explain why you think Seattle would not be a good place to raise a family. My impression was that it is a great place to raise a family. 

JDConfusion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
KIM that SeattleU has increasingly been a top 100 school (77) and has a strong reputation in the PacNW, while Gonzage as increasingly been a tier 3 school, and just barely cracked the top 100 this year (100).  I know many students who transferred from Gonzage to SU for this sheer fact alone. As far as raising a family in Seattle.  Perhaps, you can explain why you think Seattle would not be a good place to raise a family. My impression was that it is a great place to raise a family. 

KIM? I'm not familiar with that?

You are probably right about raising a family there. I'm just used to a smaller environment I guess. Do the rankings between these schools matter that much? I'm sure SU carries better in Seattle, but the firms in Spokane are swimming with Gonzaga grads.

All things aside, I'm wondering if this should be no-brainer. Is SU the only real choice here?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Gonzaga unless the money is really hard to keep, then I'd say it's more of a toss up.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
Keep in mind that cost of living will be higher in Seattle, too.

I've met a number of attorneys this summer who went to Seattle U, and have done well for themselves in everything from biglaw to government.  I haven't heard really great things about Gonzaga, but that may be because these folks are biased in favor of their alma mater.

If you can afford the higher cost, I'd probably take Seattle over the Zags.  If you're going to go heavily into debt to do it, think carefully about how you'll manage the debt.  The economic environment we're heading into is NOT going to be pleasant, in my opinion.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »
Both schools are a recipe for high debt and not so great job prospects in the current economy, assuming median grades.

At a low ranked school, networking for jobs is very important, and that's going to be rough in an area like Spokane where there isn't a decent sized legal market.

Be very wary of grade contingent scholarships. Often people do not keep them beyond 1st year. Schools like SU and Gonzaga will have harder curves than higher ranked law schools. It's not like college. What are the requirements, out of curiosity?

I'd retake the LSAT and try to get into UW if that's your in-state school.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/board,1120.0.html

Old post, but an interesting perspective on Gonzaga.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »

At a low ranked school, networking for jobs is very important, and that's going to be rough in an area like Spokane where there isn't a decent sized legal market.

This would be my biggest concern, SU gives you a chance to netowrk, clerk w/o mving and even work PT 3L all to get your foot in the door. Spokan just seems really small and your only way out is OCI or move after you gradute and do everything you could have done at SU while you were in school to get a job.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

chrismoscoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
I have good friends in Seattle who are lawyers, Seattle U all the way. At least Seattle U is known in the PNW for their writing program (as opposed to Gonzaga), and more importantly has a sizable alumni base to work with (again, opposed to Gonzaga). Finally, Seattle is leagues above Gonzaga, especially if you have a family.

I'm not exactly sure how Seattle's dean managed to make the jump from Seattle U to U Washington however. The new dean will bring new blood in which I'd imagine could only help. Good luck in your decision.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »

At least Seattle U is known in the PNW for their writing program (as opposed to Gonzaga),

Lol @ using USNWR specialty ratings for anything besides kindling.

I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.