Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Addendums  (Read 2166 times)

nooyyllib

Addendums
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:01:23 PM »
My LSAC gpa according to my calculations based off of numbers from LSAC is 3.35 (I know it's pathetic). 

I just want to know if writing an addendum for my low gpa would help in admissions at all.  I transferred from a small school to a large school after my freshmen year and had a difficult time adjusting my first semester.  On top of that during that period my mom was diagnosed with a possibility of ovarian cancer and had to get surgeries (thank god shes ok now) - but that disrupted my focus ALOT.

Would that information be any of help in admissions?

DiscussLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Addendums
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:46:01 PM »
All the best for your admissions!

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:55:43 AM »
My LSAC gpa according to my calculations based off of numbers from LSAC is 3.35 (I know it's pathetic). 

Try 1.98. I'm not kidding. (It's actually 2.05, but LSAC calculates it below 2.0.) I'm NT with a MS (3.8 ) and I was in UG during the Carter administration, but I still got some 'splainin to do. Unless you're trying for T10 with a so-so LSAT, I'm not sure you need to sweat it. Sure, do the addendum, but I hope you feel better seeing the hill I have to climb.

vansondon

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:32:23 AM »
Your GPA does not require an addendum.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
It might be of some consolation, but probably won't do too much good.

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »

You referring to mine or the person starting this thread? I was accepted at T1 and T2 schools in 1992 with nothing much more than that and a 165 LSAT. Given that I have a MS now (3.8 GPA), and another 17 years' professional experience (and my UG GPA is that much older and irrelevant) if I improve on my old 165, I think I've got a pretty good shot.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »

You referring to mine or the person starting this thread? I was accepted at T1 and T2 schools in 1992 with nothing much more than that and a 165 LSAT. Given that I have a MS now (3.8 GPA), and another 17 years' professional experience (and my UG GPA is that much older and irrelevant) if I improve on my old 165, I think I've got a pretty good shot.

The OP.

nooyyllib

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »
OK thanks for the inputs.

writetrackad

• info@writetrackadmissions.com | (888) WRIT-TRK
    • View Profile
    • Write Track Admissions
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 12:04:01 AM »
Nooylib,

An addendum is a critical tool that is necessary when there is an abberation in your application.  Namely, if your academic performance was disrupted, or you suffered a bad term that deviated from your characteristic performance, than an addendum is in order.  However, if your academic performance was consistent, and there was no such abberation, than an addendum will not strengthen your application.  Did you suffer a bad term?  Or, did you have a series of low grades that sunk your cumulitive GPA? 

Please contact me directly at info@writetrackadmissions.com if you have any additional questions, as a former admissions officer at two top 15 law schools, I beleive you can benefit from my insight.

Best,

Kal
_____________________________ _____
Write Track Law Admissions
Admission Expert | www.writetrackadmissions.com
info@writetrackadmissions.com
Get Noticed, Get In

nooyyllib

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »
Nooylib,

An addendum is a critical tool that is necessary when there is an abberation in your application.  Namely, if your academic performance was disrupted, or you suffered a bad term that deviated from your characteristic performance, than an addendum is in order.  However, if your academic performance was consistent, and there was no such abberation, than an addendum will not strengthen your application.  Did you suffer a bad term?  Or, did you have a series of low grades that sunk your cumulitive GPA? 

Please contact me directly at info@writetrackadmissions.com if you have any additional questions, as a former admissions officer at two top 15 law schools, I beleive you can benefit from my insight.

Best,

Kal

Kal,

I did have one semester where the gpa was below a 3.0 that semester was the first semester after i transferred along with other family issues mentioned in the original post.  my LSAC gpa right now is officially 3.33.