Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does this qualify as Hispanic?  (Read 7394 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does this qualify as Hispanic?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 07:12:09 AM »
I've seen a lot of applications ask "non-white hispanic" so as half spanish half Italian wouldnt that be a mix of two "white" races even though hispanic?

Spanish is not the same as Hispanic. 

Being Spanish is a sufficient condition for being Hispanic, although it is not a necessary condition.

Dude, you're so lost.  Go get yourself educated.

You are so wrong.  And a feminine hygiene product.  Life sucks, huh?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Abogado

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does this qualify as Hispanic? from a Mexican Abogado- attorney
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 03:09:16 AM »

This is a very interesting topic. Hispanic is an American invention like hamburgers and cars outside the United States it has no legal or historical meaning. The father of the Hispanic race is Richard Nixon who invented this racial term as a way to stop assimilation of the inferiors, according to Americans  the mighty Romans do not deserve the credit only Nixon one of the greatest Americans presidents.  London is as Hispanic as Barcelona both were Roman colonies.Spanish is a European language, your surname is European and you even hold a European Passport, and you even have Roman blood  legally you are more white European than many American white Europeans. In the United States, the conservative white, Anglo and protestant elites, can not accept the Spanish civilization as an equal, being Catholic, Mediterranean is sin, I am Mexican, and Jew, Mexican is not a race is a nationality, Jew is not a race is an ethnicity am I in American Hispanic probably yes, but I am not going to spend time teaching Americans geography or culture I know who I am and where I am going. Good Luck enjoy your university time and learn Chinese, these guys know geography and they are unfortunately in their way to become the next super power and you are not consider Hispanic and inferior in China or anywhere else only in America so move back to the mother land Spain or Italy and exercise your rights as a citizen of the European Union, yes Americans Spain is in Europe not close to Japan

Abogado

• View Profile
    • Email

I found a strong deficiency in the American educational system, geography and history both are important pillars and they are only taught extensively at elite universities to the privileged, the average American can not find Iraq or Brazil in the map nor understands that King Philip of Spain from the Austrian Crown ruled Spain and Portugal therefore, both nations were under the one king, however Portugal is older as a kingdom than Spain, Portuguese and Spaniards are both Mediterranean countries and the countries who share the Mediterranean sea are Italy, France, Spain therefore they are white and citizens of the European Union.
Brazil, is a multicultural and racially diverse.There are one million Japanese living in Brazil and more Italians than in the United States and Germans, unfortunately many SSS. Are Brazilians Hispanics, well for Americans probably yes, they do not know where Brazil is in the map and I am not making fun, Jay Leno has done random tests on geography and government to average Americans and the results have been appalling and funny.

I always wondered if Brazil would qualify as hispanic since it is portugese and not spanish. I guess it would then in portugese is "hispanic" I am kind of suprised by that though. Dont they have their own language and heritage, or is it like being "semitic" can include arabs too since they are all sons of abraham dispite the fact that "anti-semite" is directed at jews normally? Do the portugese and spanish come from the same ancient lineage?

As for their peninsula isnt there another tiny dot sized country on top between spain and France? Would that be "hispanic" too? What about the island between spain and africa(I think England owns it) is that part of the peninsula and "hispanic"? If I seem to be asking a lot of questions it is becuase this authenticly interests me now that I know it can go beyond what I thought of as spanish.

I remember in grade school they told us that "hispanic" was anyone of spanish decent. That being said they also taught me that USSR still existed in the 90's(not true by the way). Does anyone have the govt's textbook definition of when someone is or isn't hispanic? It cant be based on skin color alone, becuase then all native americans could claim it. My wife is part native american and people assume she is hispanic all the time. I'm curious what the "offical" definition is though.

Hispanic peoples are those whose lineage derives from the Iberian peninsula.  Hence, people from Spain, as well as people from Mexico, are Hispanic.  As are many people from Portugal, the Canaries, Dominican Republic, Chile, pre-Republic Texas, and even Macao.  And a bunch of other countries as well.

However, to qualify as an underrepresented minority for ABA purposes, you essentially need to be a Hispanic of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent.  Sometimes Cubans and other Central/South/Caribbean Americans get a bump, but not as great.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If spain and portugal are viewed as one people due to a long past king of the same area even though portugal is older and that king was Austrian, then wouldn't they be equally "arab" since the islamic empire ruled all of that and parts of france untill Martell forced them out?

I found a strong deficiency in the American educational system, geography and history both are important pillars and they are only taught extensively at elite universities to the privileged, the average American can not find Iraq or Brazil in the map nor understands that King Philip of Spain from the Austrian Crown ruled Spain and Portugal therefore, both nations were under the one king, however Portugal is older as a kingdom than Spain, Portuguese and Spaniards are both Mediterranean countries and the countries who share the Mediterranean sea are Italy, France, Spain therefore they are white and citizens of the European Union.
Brazil, is a multicultural and racially diverse.There are one million Japanese living in Brazil and more Italians than in the United States and Germans, unfortunately many SSS. Are Brazilians Hispanics, well for Americans probably yes, they do not know where Brazil is in the map and I am not making fun, Jay Leno has done random tests on geography and government to average Americans and the results have been appalling and funny.

I always wondered if Brazil would qualify as hispanic since it is portugese and not spanish. I guess it would then in portugese is "hispanic" I am kind of suprised by that though. Dont they have their own language and heritage, or is it like being "semitic" can include arabs too since they are all sons of abraham dispite the fact that "anti-semite" is directed at jews normally? Do the portugese and spanish come from the same ancient lineage?

As for their peninsula isnt there another tiny dot sized country on top between spain and France? Would that be "hispanic" too? What about the island between spain and africa(I think England owns it) is that part of the peninsula and "hispanic"? If I seem to be asking a lot of questions it is becuase this authenticly interests me now that I know it can go beyond what I thought of as spanish.

I remember in grade school they told us that "hispanic" was anyone of spanish decent. That being said they also taught me that USSR still existed in the 90's(not true by the way). Does anyone have the govt's textbook definition of when someone is or isn't hispanic? It cant be based on skin color alone, becuase then all native americans could claim it. My wife is part native american and people assume she is hispanic all the time. I'm curious what the "offical" definition is though.

Hispanic peoples are those whose lineage derives from the Iberian peninsula.  Hence, people from Spain, as well as people from Mexico, are Hispanic.  As are many people from Portugal, the Canaries, Dominican Republic, Chile, pre-Republic Texas, and even Macao.  And a bunch of other countries as well.

However, to qualify as an underrepresented minority for ABA purposes, you essentially need to be a Hispanic of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent.  Sometimes Cubans and other Central/South/Caribbean Americans get a bump, but not as great.

perezr8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
OK,everyone here is alittle bit confused about this term. Hispanic is a ethnicity not a race. There are only 3 races Caucasion(white), Negrio(black) and Mongoliod (Asian/Native Americans). The term Hispanic is only used in the USA. No other place in the world classifies people with the term hispanic or anything of the sort, Hispanic was created in the 80s for census purposes in order to account for the number of spanish speaking people in the USA.

Here is some history. The word Hispanic comes from Hispania, which was the Roman name for the part of the Roman empire which is now Spain and Portugal.
Latin America is made up of different culture, races and religons. Hispanic person is one whos culture is influenced from Spain or Portugal. It was never meant to be a racial group.

Therefore one could be Hispanic and white or Hispanic and black or Hispanic and Native American. There is no conflict there.

The fact that you are white does not mean that you can't also be hispanic.   

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 06:56:02 PM »
OK,everyone here is alittle bit confused about this term. Hispanic is a ethnicity not a race. There are only 3 races Caucasion(white), Negrio(black) and Mongoliod (Asian/Native Americans). The term Hispanic is only used in the USA. No other place in the world classifies people with the term hispanic or anything of the sort, Hispanic was created in the 80s for census purposes in order to account for the number of spanish speaking people in the USA.

Are Indians (from India) Caucasian/Caucasion? 

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »
Mongaloid is a racist term, its like calling an Indian woman a Sqwa or a jew a kike. I doubt every much that Native Americans would consider themselves the same race as Asians. If these mystery races dont exist then why are they listed under the race option on applications?

As for India being "caucasion" no but they are Aryan. Aryan has to do with being "light skin" but not white.

Here is some history. The word Hispanic comes from Hispania, which was the Roman name for the part of the Roman empire which is now Spain and Portugal.
Latin America is made up of different culture, races and religons. Hispanic person is one whos culture is influenced from Spain or Portugal. It was never meant to be a racial group.

Therefore one could be Hispanic and white or Hispanic and black or Hispanic and Native American. There is no conflict there.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »
Mongaloid is a racist term, its like calling an Indian woman a Sqwa or a jew a kike. I doubt every much that Native Americans would consider themselves the same race as Asians. If these mystery races dont exist then why are they listed under the race option on applications?

As for India being "caucasion" no but they are Aryan. Aryan has to do with being "light skin" but not white.

Please STFU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 10:25:58 PM »
Look Einstein, you're quoted sources that support me here. Yes Wikipedia is about as useful as used toliet paper, but even that shows that Aryan was a term abused by Hitler that actually dates back to the Aryan Caste system in India (study Indian history) and that it has ties to Iran(persian not european) dont give links that support my argument while trying to do the opposit.

Second, I dare nae triple dog dare you to walk up to ANYONE and call them a mongoloid. You'll get hit in the face.
Heck, even Negro and Afro-American(the term used my doctor king) will get you hit. If its such a great term why is it NEVER on an application anywhere at any time?  ::)

Please STFU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan
[/quote]

perezr8

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »
Mongoliod was the scientific term used whether you like it or not. Yes, it is offensive now because it is also associated with down syndrome. However you cannot deny the fact that native americans and the people of Mongolia and China are closely racially related.

We are getting out of topic on this thread. The reason why I talked about the original racial classifications is to show that anyone could be any of those 3 catogories and still be considered considered Hispanic.

Hispanic is a cultural term not a racial term.

I personally think the term Hispanic is discriminatory. It classifies all Latin Americans as having culture from Spain or Portugal, When in fact many Latin Americans only have language in common with there european counter parts. Many Peruvians for example are culturally Native Indian. They still dress, eat and speak as there native ancestors did, however they also speak spanish. So if they were to ever come to the USA they wouldn't be considered Native Indian, they would be Hispanic just because they are from Peru. Tell me how that isn't discriminatory.

The term Hispanic is like using the term Anglo to describe anyone on the planet that is a native speaker of english. How would Americans like it if when in a Spanish speaking country they are put in the same group whether you were born in the USA, UK, Jamaica, Austrailia, Canada, South Africa etc..