Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP!! Trying to decide where to go..  (Read 2968 times)

tws0386

• View Profile
    • Email
PLEASE HELP!! Trying to decide where to go..
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
ok.. i got in at Detroit Mercy - Texas Southern - Miss College.. I'm leaning torward Detroit.. but TX Southern is almost half the price..!!  Plus.. Houston would be a lot nicer than Detroit..!

Which one should i select...??

I applied REALLY late.. because I was counting on one particular school and didnt apply to any backups figuring if I didnt get in.. I would re-take the LSAT and apply again next year..  so I was waitlisted at my #1 choice (UNC).. which I will def wait until the last minute for them..

but i need to have a back-up plan...

please give me some advice..  i'm so torn!

I was also waitlisted at Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson, Roger Williams, Wake Forest, NCCU, Gonzaga, Syracuse.. lol .. i applied way too late..

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PLEASE HELP!! Trying to decide where to go..
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »
You need to go nowhere this year and reapply early next year, unless some of your good waitlists pan out. There's no reason to go to any of your current options if you can get waitlisted at places like UNC and Wake.

And what's up with your school selection anyway? A few reaches and lots of safeties with little in the middle?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:47 PM »
Ninja...he was WL'd at NCCU, not UNC. Although Wake is still a good accomplishment considering the rest.

I agree with Ninja. I'm not sure what you want to do or why, but you sound like you have no direction in life. Why did you pick these schools? If you pick schools in Texas, Detroit, and Miss., then you obviously have no idea what you are doing.

In the middle of his post, he says he was WL'd at UNC, which wouldn't be too surprising if he was good enough to get sat on at Wake.

I'm still really not seeing a pattern at all in the schools OP applied to, and I spent a few more minutes trying to figure it out earlier.

Really, this all shows how important it is to apply on time.

tws0386

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 01:07:01 AM »
i applied at these random schools because i received fee waivers.. yes i was waitlisted at UNC... but i'm not waiting until next year.. so i will end up somewhere...

my goal is to work for a company for a year or so .. then go out on my own.. i have PLENTY of business experience and currently own a very successful real estate company in raleigh nc...

its so funny how losers on this site love trying to judge other people's lives.. lol (nudum)

lets face it.. ANY school you attend gives you the SAME thing any other school gives you... -> the right to take the bar... i'm being smart and choosing not to be in debt like crazy and i def dont want to work 80 hours/week...  ;)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
i applied at these random schools because i received fee waivers.. yes i was waitlisted at UNC... but i'm not waiting until next year.. so i will end up somewhere...

my goal is to work for a company for a year or so .. then go out on my own.. i have PLENTY of business experience and currently own a very successful real estate company in raleigh nc...

its so funny how losers on this site love trying to judge other people's lives.. lol (nudum)

lets face it.. ANY school you attend gives you the SAME thing any other school gives you... -> the right to take the bar... i'm being smart and choosing not to be in debt like crazy and i def dont want to work 80 hours/week...  ;)

Fee waivers are not a good reason to apply somewhere and make decisions that will determine where you'll be living for at least the next few years and possibly forever.

If you know what's good for you, you'll find something to do for this year and reapply next year. There's no reason to go to any of the places you're currently in when you can get a legit school next year. Yeah, they all give you a JD and you can sit for the bar, but to pretend they're all the same is to lie to yourself.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »

Do whatever you like.  You don't seem to want real advice.

But if you did:

I bolded the above because this statement is wrong.  Not illogical, but very wrong.  School mans a lot more than the right to take the bar.  it determines things like what region of the country you'll be pegged into, the quality of the education you'll receive, the depth of opportunities available... 

You can go into it thinking that yuo'll receive the same value regardless of school, but this is a very fairly indefensible theory.  You said you simply want to work for a company for a couple of years.  What company?  What type of company?  Why do you think that this specific company will hire you?  Why do you think that by passing the bar, you'll b as competitive for this job as you would be if you say, went to UNC or Wake? 

The truth is very smart students go to some very lowly regarded schools.  These students then do very well at said school.  However, these students still are unable to land the job they want because some middle of the pack student at a more reputable school is more employable.

For instance, imagine that you went to Cal Western.  You're going to struggl find whatever shadowy company you're referring to when your application is weighed against applications from at least 10 other California institutions.  ... Even if you do very well.

The reason why people are telling you to wait is because some students have no choice but to attend one of these schools.  However, you're competitive at some very well regarded law schools.  And while many applicants have good reasons to attend the Tier 4 school - you just seem lazy.

tws0386

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »

But if you did:

I bolded the above because this statement is wrong.  Not illogical, but very wrong.  School mans a lot more than the right to take the bar.  it determines things like what region of the country you'll be pegged into, the quality of the education you'll receive, the depth of opportunities available... 

You can go into it thinking that yuo'll receive the same value regardless of school, but this is a very fairly indefensible theory.  You said you simply want to work for a company for a couple of years.  What company?  What type of company?  Why do you think that this specific company will hire you?  Why do you think that by passing the bar, you'll b as competitive for this job as you would be if you say, went to UNC or Wake? 

The truth is very smart students go to some very lowly regarded schools.  These students then do very well at said school.  However, these students still are unable to land the job they want because some middle of the pack student at a more reputable school is more employable.

For instance, imagine that you went to Cal Western.  You're going to struggl find whatever shadowy company you're referring to when your application is weighed against applications from at least 10 other California institutions.  ... Even if you do very well.

The reason why people are telling you to wait is because some students have no choice but to attend one of these schools.  However, you're competitive at some very well regarded law schools.  And while many applicants have good reasons to attend the Tier 4 school - you just seem lazy.

no actually.. since i own a real estate company there are probably 5 attorneys i deal with on a daily basis that i can work for... so like i said it makes NO difference.. and for everyone who thinks the school makes them.. you are in for a rude awakening.. i'm not saying you won't get more opportunities.. but ANYONE who is driven will overcome those small obstacles..  it's amazing how the lower tier schools are looked at as worthless...  but you'll realize all this one day hopefully..

i personally am attending law school to expand my opportunities in real estate... so like i have said MANY times.. it makes NO DIFFERENCE where i go.. the best thing for me is to spend as little as possible for the opportunity to join the bar.. which is the same thing other people will pay $50k year for...

i joined this board because i wanted more info on the schools i originally inquired about.. but like most law school boards.. people who think a school will make them a better person are too critical and dont actually do what these boards were meant for..

grow up!  lol

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »

But if you did:

no actually.. since i own a real estate company there are probably 5 attorneys i deal with on a daily basis that i can work for... so like i said it makes NO difference.. and for everyone who thinks the school makes them.. you are in for a rude awakening.. i'm not saying you won't get more opportunities.. but ANYONE who is driven will overcome those small obstacles..  it's amazing how the lower tier schools are looked at as worthless...  but you'll realize all this one day hopefully..

i personally am attending law school to expand my opportunities in real estate... so like i have said MANY times.. it makes NO DIFFERENCE where i go.. the best thing for me is to spend as little as possible for the opportunity to join the bar.. which is the same thing other people will pay $50k year for...

i joined this board because i wanted more info on the schools i originally inquired about.. but like most law school boards.. people who think a school will make them a better person are too critical and dont actually do what these boards were meant for..

grow up!  lol

- You're putting a ton of hope and trust in that one of those five attornies who will "probably" hire you - will hire you - and this will be exactly what you'll want to do post-law school.

- The comment that "ANYONE who is driven will overcome those small obstacles" is just silly and juvenile.  No, sometimes people are driven and fail.  Sometimes people work their ass off and reap no reward.  These are not always "small" obstacles.  Sometimes they are monumental and paralyzing.  Saying that you can accomplish anything that you put your mind to is just a nice little thing that grownups tell kids.

- Third, you're adding the comment that "and for everyone who thinks the school makes them.. you are in for a rude awakening.." is something that you introduced.  Not saying that no one has ever said that, but all the advice which you have received is derived from the logic and difficulties associated with these schools - nothing about self worth.  This comes from you.

Go where you want.  I sincerely hope that you enjoy law school, are hired by one of these individuals, and enjoy a very successful real estate career.  But don't treat those who caution you against a potentially ill advised decision as there is no merit to these concerns.  You may be proven right at the end and I hope you are.  But you seem to have an awfully big inferiority complex.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 07:58:10 PM »
OP is a jackass!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »

But if you did:

grow up!  lol

Interesting that someone that is considering Detroit Mercy or Texas Southern is telling us what a rude awakening we're in for...

See the chart to see what shitholes you're considering, if you don't believe us:

http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf

Unlike PJC, I am hoping for your failure so that your life can serve as a monument to the folly of your statements. Shame too, I thought you were salvageable. But whatever, enjoy Detroit.