Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Carolina waitlist  (Read 8862 times)

tws0386

• View Profile
    • Email
Carolina waitlist
« on: May 26, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
anyone waiting and hoping to get in..??

last year.. they made approx 650 offers for the waitlist and didn't activate it..!!!

this year.. according to the director of admission.. they will DEF be using the list.. but the earliest would be 6/22

i met with the director and really lobbied my case for admission.. anyone else hoping..??

aviator21

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Carolina waitlist
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »
which carolina?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »
There's only one Carolina.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:07:19 PM »
I'm also on the waitlist. Are you NC resident? Do you have any more details regarding the actual numbers of applications on the list and how many usually gets accepted?

tws0386

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »
I'm also on the waitlist. Are you NC resident? Do you have any more details regarding the actual numbers of applications on the list and how many usually gets accepted?

yes.. i live in NC.. do you..??  i met with the director of admissions.. and she said last year there were approx 600 offers for waitlist.. and they didnt offer any of them a spot..

HOWEVER.. this year they offered about 1/2 as many waitlist and approx 100 (last time i checked) have returned their form... and they definitely expect to use it this year..

I'm praying!  Lets face it.. if UNC didnt reserve 75% of seats for in-state students.. they would prob be top 10...

here are some stats.. fyi

4000 apps last year - 3000 were from out of state - 3000 apps competing for 100 seats out-of-state - 1000 apps competing for 300 seats in-state (approx from Assistant Dean of Admissions M.J. States)

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »

yes.. i live in NC.. do you..??  i met with the director of admissions.. and she said last year there were approx 600 offers for waitlist.. and they didnt offer any of them a spot..

HOWEVER.. this year they offered about 1/2 as many waitlist and approx 100 (last time i checked) have returned their form... and they definitely expect to use it this year..

I'm praying!  Lets face it.. if UNC didnt reserve 75% of seats for in-state students.. they would prob be top 10...

here are some stats.. fyi

4000 apps last year - 3000 were from out of state - 3000 apps competing for 100 seats out-of-state - 1000 apps competing for 300 seats in-state (approx from Assistant Dean of Admissions M.J. States)

awww you are lucky. I dont live in NC so my chances are much slimmer than yours.  :( I'm just hoping for a miracle to happen in the next month. UNC is definately a very good school especially for in-state people because of their cheap tuition. They are gonna let me know by the end of July so let's see what happens... good luck to you too!

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Lets face it.. if UNC didnt reserve 75% of seats for in-state students.. they would prob be top 10...

This is ridiculous. UNC does not have the resources to compete with even the very top public schools. Michigan, Cal, and UVA are each far more autonomous from their state than UNC is, which partially explains the in-state requirements. This is the same reason Carolina will never be any better than the 5th best public undergrad. I've advocated that a decision be made in the past, and will continue advocating it into the future: Carolina needs to decide what their mission is. Is it to best serve the State? or is it to be the best public school in the country? They try to be both, and it is not working.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

wagamama

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:24:13 PM »
i am a resident of NC and on the wait list, with high hopes to get an acceptance...did you get an additional letter of recommendation or did you do anything besides return the form?

wagamama

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
any update on wait list status.....

tws0386

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
any update on wait list status.....

not yet!  update me if you hear anything!